From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
To: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>,
	emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Major changes to the Modus themes (modus-operandi, modus-vivendi)
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 10:18:32 -0600	[thread overview]

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

> A few months ago the themes 'modus-operandi' and 'modus-vivendi' became
> part of Emacs.  These "Modus themes" are designed to meet the highest
> accessibility standard for legibility (WCAG AAA), which is quantified as
> a minimum 7:1 rate of contrast in relative luminance between any given
> combination of background and foreground colours.  In short: every piece
> of text we support should be readable.

Could we use these principles to improve the default Emacs look?
I'm not necessarily saying that we should overhaul all faces to look
like the modus themes, but perhaps there are some glaring usability
issues we could fix.

BTW, what about the relative luminance difference between adjacent
colours?  Is this something covered by the WCAG AAA, or an aspect you
have otherwise looked into?  I know I reported a bug (that you promptly
fixed) where the difference was too small for comfort in one case.
Admittedly this is the only problem with the modus themes I've seen so
far.

> The version that was in Emacs until recently was 0.13.0.  In trunk we
> now provide the latest release: 1.2.3.

Thanks!  Looking forward to start using this.