* Should emacsclient -e and --create-frame open both open frames?
@ 2024-10-12 22:57 Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2024-10-12 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I recently noticed that when calling emacsclient is called with
--create-frame and a function such as gnus-other-frame two frames open.
I.e. I call emacsclient --create-frame --eval '(gnus-other-frame)', one
frame opens with the last buffer accessed before calling emacsclient
and another one with the buffer opened by the command evaluated.

I'm not sure if this is a bug which why I'm asking first.

Thanks,

Björn

* Re: Should emacsclient -e and --create-frame open both open frames?
       [not found] <877cadq69m.fsf@>
@ 2024-10-13  5:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-10-13  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de>
> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 01:57:09 +0300
>
> I recently noticed that when calling emacsclient is called with
> --create-frame and a function such as gnus-other-frame two frames open.
> I.e. I call emacsclient --create-frame --eval '(gnus-other-frame)', one
> frame opens with the last buffer accessed before calling emacsclient
> and another one with the buffer opened by the command evaluated.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a bug which why I'm asking first.

AFAIU, it isn't a bug: when emacsclient is invoked with -c, it
instructs the server to create a new frame, before it processes the
expressions passed via --eval.

* Re: Should emacsclient -e and --create-frame open both open frames?
       [not found] <670aff0c.0c0a0220.2c5d7c.77a5SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
@ 2024-10-13  9:54 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-10-13  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar, emacs-devel

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

> I recently noticed that when calling emacsclient is called with
> --create-frame and a function such as gnus-other-frame two frames open.
> I.e. I call emacsclient --create-frame --eval '(gnus-other-frame)', one
> frame opens with the last buffer accessed before calling emacsclient
> and another one with the buffer opened by the command evaluated.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a bug which why I'm asking first.

So you ask emacsclient to create a new frame, and you call a function
that also creates a new frame.  Then two frames are created.

This sounds like the expected behaviour, no?

* Re: Should emacsclient -e and --create-frame open both open frames?
@ 2024-10-13 11:17   ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2024-10-13 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

> This sounds like the expected behaviour, no?

Now that I think of it does sound like it. However somehow before I
was under the assumption that this wasn't the case.
I also noticed this also the case when the function called was using display-buffer
but that's also normal I assume.

Anyway

Thanks