Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: > I think we wanted to introduce mode line constructs to ensure a minimum > width to elements (like "L13") for those that want that, and somehow > have variable pitch fonts that have numbers of unequal width (uncommon > as those fonts are). How about installing the attached for the `header-line' face while we work on sorting out all that? AFAICT, tabulation already works there (e.g. `tabulated-list-mode'), and it would allow us to give this some testing before Emacs 28.