* Stability of project.el
@ 2023-07-10 18:53 Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-07-10 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Dmitry Gutov

The commentary section for project.el still begins with

;; NOTE: The project API is still experimental and can change in major,
;; backward-incompatible ways.  Everyone is encouraged to try it, and
;; report to us any problems or use cases we hadn't anticipated, by
;; sending an email to emacs-devel, or `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

Is this still true, or would it be warranted to remove it just like we
did for Xref a few years ago (9a15694a45), perhaps even in time for
Emacs 29?

* Re: Stability of project.el
@ 2023-07-11  1:27 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-07-11  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

Hi Philip,

On 10/07/2023 21:53, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> The commentary section for project.el still begins with

> ;; NOTE: The project API is still experimental and can change in major,
> ;; backward-incompatible ways.  Everyone is encouraged to try it, and
> ;; report to us any problems or use cases we hadn't anticipated, by
> ;; sending an email to emacs-devel, or `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>
> Is this still true, or would it be warranted to remove it just like we
> did for Xref a few years ago (9a15694a45), perhaps even in time for
> Emacs 29?

I think that's a good idea. Even if there still some less-than-ideal
bits, we need to maintain it backward-compatibly, given the age.

And documentation-only changes should still be good for Emacs 29.

* Re: Stability of project.el
@ 2023-07-11  5:26   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-07-11  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> Hi Philip,
>
> On 10/07/2023 21:53, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>> The commentary section for project.el still begins with
>> ;; NOTE: The project API is still experimental and can change in major,
>> ;; backward-incompatible ways.  Everyone is encouraged to try it, and
>> ;; report to us any problems or use cases we hadn't anticipated, by
>> ;; sending an email to emacs-devel, or `M-x report-emacs-bug'.
>> Is this still true, or would it be warranted to remove it just like
>> we
>> did for Xref a few years ago (9a15694a45), perhaps even in time for
>> Emacs 29?
>
> I think that's a good idea. Even if there still some less-than-ideal
> bits, we need to maintain it backward-compatibly, given the age.

Great.  Should the major version number also be bumped?

> And documentation-only changes should still be good for Emacs 29.

Eli, what do you say?

* Re: Stability of project.el
@ 2023-07-11 12:02     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-11 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: dmitry, emacs-devel

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 05:26:35 +0000
>
> Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:
>
> > I think that's a good idea. Even if there still some less-than-ideal
> > bits, we need to maintain it backward-compatibly, given the age.
>
> Great.  Should the major version number also be bumped?
>
> > And documentation-only changes should still be good for Emacs 29.
>
> Eli, what do you say?

This changes no code, so the decision is entirely up to Dmitry, and
AFAIU he already made the decision.

* Re: Stability of project.el
@ 2023-07-12  1:59     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-07-12  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 11/07/2023 08:26, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> Great.  Should the major version number also be bumped?

Let's not complicate things. We just declare the current versions in
Emacs 29 and 30 as "stable". No code change - so no version change
strictly necessary.

Though I suppose some of the users will only see the changed text after
the next version bump.

* Re: Stability of project.el
@ 2023-08-04 10:35   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-08-04 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> I think that's a good idea. Even if there still some less-than-ideal
> bits, we need to maintain it backward-compatibly, given the age.

This was apparently never done, so I've now made that change on the
emacs-29 branch (commit 8cbd4a02a2b).

* Re: Stability of project.el
@ 2023-08-04 15:42     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-08-04 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

On 04/08/2023 13:35, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:
>
>> I think that's a good idea. Even if there still some less-than-ideal
>> bits, we need to maintain it backward-compatibly, given the age.
> This was apparently never done, so I've now made that change on the
> emacs-29 branch (commit 8cbd4a02a2b).

Thanks!