Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Stefan Kangas >> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 11:27:45 -0800 >> Cc: rpluim@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org >> >> Also, can we tell what is an init file and what is a package? > > Emacs knows when it loads the init file. We could disable warnings > during that load, perhaps. That works until you require some package from there, I think. In any case, that would need someone to step up to write that code, and it sounds a whole deal more complicated than just flipping native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors to nil. And even then, it won't fix the issue completely. Please see the attached file with just the warnings I get from starting Emacs with current master and my init file. I disabled compiling my init files, so this is just what I get from third-party packages. Not all of them though, as some of them aren't yet loaded -- I will have fun with a *Warning* buffer popping up in the middle of doing something else every now and then for the next week or more. Some of these packages haven't seen updates in years, so I have little confidence that these warnings will suddenly be fixed in time for Emacs 28.1, even if I did spend a day or two going through and reporting bugs for all of them. In some cases, I already have open pull requests that have seen no action or reply in over a year (!). And then remains, of course, the many thousands packages that neither I or anyone else on this list use. I am all for showing warnings visibly, but this is an overly intrusive way to do it, as is evidenced by the many complaints we've seen about it so far. In conclusion, I insist that we would do well to flip the default of native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors to `silent' or nil for the second Emacs 28 pretest.