On 21 February 2017 at 12:50, Andreas Politz wrote: > Elias MÃ¥rtenson writes: > > > If it is to be shipped as part of ELPA, then a different question > > emerges: Should I simply add code to the Elisp files that checks if it > > can find the native library and if not, compile it on the fly? It's > > doable, but I'd hard to reinvent several wheels to do so. Essentially > > I'd have to rebuild part of autoconf in Elisp. > > Hi, I am the author of pdf-tools and I have a very similar, if not the > same, problem. > I use pdf-tools, and I have definitely seen the same issue there. > I think your analogy to autoconf is not the right one. What's needed is > more like an abstraction over the various systems including package > manager and possibly naming schemes. For example on Arch you need to > install the package krb5 with pacman, while on Debian its probably > libkrb5-dev and libkrb5 using aptitude and on Windows you'd download > some installer or whatever. > Indeed. The MIT and Heimdal implementations also have some minor differences that has to be taken into account, making the Makefile more complex. > There are various other details to consider. For example make is called > gmake on BSD, or you need to setup an environment variable > (e.g. PKG_CONFIG_PATH on macos). > I don't use OSX much anymore, so I wasn't aware of that. > This could be implemented in a neat, small package, your package depends > on and calls into as part of the installation or first-time-running > process. > > Adding a new system-configuration should be fairly easy. > > I've been pondering to write such a thing, > > what do you think ? > I think that sounds like a great idea. If you build a prototype I'd be happy to provide whatever assistance I can. Regards, Elias