I was expecting that Arthur would come up with a preprocessor written in (I guess) 30 lines of Elisp... a lot of people would like to play with it, add tests, modify it, and so on - and we could use it to learn how to create our own preprocessors. A preprocessor written as patch to the C source of Emacs feels useless to me. [[]], Eduardo Ochs http://angg.twu.net/#eev http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2019.html On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 13:18, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > I really understand the concern, but I must ask how would one change the > > elisp itself without re-implementing much or some of of elisp parser if > it would > > be done externally? > > I recommend you take a look at the existing function used on > load-source-file-function (i.e. load-with-code-conversion): it loads the > source file into a buffer and then calls `eval-buffer`. > > So all it would take is for you to erase the text (aka non-code) part of > the source code before passing it to `eval-buffer` (but of course, only > do it when that source is using your new format). > > Or instead of `eval-buffer` you might "manually" skip the text parts, > then use `read` + `eval` on the code parts. This would probably take > a bit more effort in order to correctly handle (defvar foo). > > > Stefan > > >