On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 11:41 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Anand Tamariya > > Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:04:39 +0530 > > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > > Correction is in order - the screenshot/ rendering within Emacs > requires Ghostscript. Printing to > > printer > > > would use OS specific print commands e.g. lpr on *nix. > > > > Now I'm even more confused. How does one "render within Emacs with > > Ghostscript"? Emacs display rendering uses our display engine, which > > doesn't need Ghostscript, and AFAIK cannot use it. I guess I'm > > misunderstanding something very basic here... > > > > The screenshots linked in OP shows split windows - one with original > text and another with PS file. The PS > > file section is actually a PNG image generated with Ghostscript from the > PS file. The PS file itself is > > generated by my code. > > OK, that takes care of my confusion, thanks. > > But the original question still stands: where do you make use of > Ghostscript in your code which generates the PS file? I don't. > Or maybe you > don't use Ghostscript for that (which would be good news), and I just > misunderstood you did? IOW, is Ghostscript a prerequisite for using > your WYSIWYG printing code to produce the PS stuff (as opposed to > sending the PS to the printer)? > It's not. It is only required if one wants to visualize (print preview) it within Emacs. Of course, for development and testing, it's irreplaceable unless you want to waste reams of paper. Hence, I count it as a dependency.