From: "T.V. Raman" <tv.raman.tv@gmail.com>
To: Dmitri Paduchikh <dpaduchikh@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Request: Use message instead of message_with_string for user visible output?
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:07:05 -0700	[thread overview]

I've advised self-insert-command to produce auditory output for
read-only cases.

Note that once upon a time (see emacspeak code base)  emacspeak
actually replaced self-insert-command with its own
implementation.  In newer versions, I dont do that  any more
because I can use  the relevant post hook; however, that also
lost us the auditory feedback when the buffer is read-only or
when the text has read-only property set.  My personal preference
would be to not  to muck with command-error-function -- I played
with it a bit last week -- it feels like too heavy a hammer, and
at the end of the day might also produce too much output.

Note that emacs packages are in general not well-disciplined with
when they call error vs signal -- and often use error or signal
to provide user-feedback e.g. emacs itself when you hit
end-of-buffer -- or the VM  mail reader when you hit end-of-folder.

--
Best Regards,
--raman