* slow opening of files in git directories in windows
@ 2011-10-27  6:39 Nathaniel Flath
From: Nathaniel Flath @ 2011-10-27  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've noticed that opening files in git repositories open fairly slowly using
the latest pretest in windows - sometimes it takes several seconds, whereas
the same file not under a repository opens instantly.  What would be the
best way to track this down?

Thanks,
Nathaniel Flath

* Re: slow opening of files in git directories in windows
@ 2011-10-27  6:45 ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2011-10-27  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Flath; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 08:39, Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that opening files in git repositories open fairly slowly using
> the latest pretest in windows - sometimes it takes several seconds, whereas
> the same file not under a repository opens instantly.  What would be the
> best way to track this down?

It’s vc(-git) that’s causing it.  It runs git a couple of times, which
is slow on Windows.  Unbelievably slow.

* Re: slow opening of files in git directories in windows
@ 2011-10-27  6:52 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-27  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Flath; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> writes:

> I've noticed that opening files in git repositories open fairly
> slowly using the latest pretest in windows - sometimes it takes
> several seconds, whereas the same file not under a repository opens
> instantly.  What would be the best way to track this down?

I read somewhere that playing around with the below variable - removing
unused ones or changing the probe order - will improve things.

C-h v vc-handled-backends

@ 2011-10-27  7:21   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2011-10-27  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Flath, emacs-devel

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 08:52, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've noticed that opening files in git repositories open fairly
>> slowly using the latest pretest in windows

> I read somewhere that playing around with the below variable - removing
> unused ones or changing the probe order - will improve things.

But, if you choose to include Git, things will stay pretty much the
same if you’re in a Git repository.

I’ve set vc-handled-backends to nil and I’m now using Magit instead.

* Re: slow opening of files in git directories in windows
@ 2011-10-27  9:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-10-27  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: flat0103, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:45:28 +0200
> From: Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 08:39, Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've noticed that opening files in git repositories open fairly slowly using
> > the latest pretest in windows - sometimes it takes several seconds, whereas
> > the same file not under a repository opens instantly.  What would be the
> > best way to track this down?
>
> It’s vc(-git) that’s causing it.  It runs git a couple of times, which
> is slow on Windows.  Unbelievably slow.

Can you tell which git commands are run when a file is visited, and
which are slow?

* Re: slow opening of files in git directories in windows
@ 2011-10-27 10:14     ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2011-10-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: flat0103, emacs-devel

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:48, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:45:28 +0200
>> From: Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 08:39, Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I've noticed that opening files in git repositories open fairly slowly using
>> > the latest pretest in windows - sometimes it takes several seconds, whereas
>> > the same file not under a repository opens instantly.  What would be the
>> > best way to track this down?
>>
>> It’s vc(-git) that’s causing it.  It runs git a couple of times, which
>> is slow on Windows.  Unbelievably slow.

> Can you tell which git commands are run when a file is visited, and
> which are slow?

Sorry, I have no insight into vc-mode, but I’m guessing that it runs
git rev-parse --show-cdup, git status, and such command to determine
the current status of the opened file.

* Re: slow opening of files in git directories in windows
@ 2011-10-27 11:03       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-10-27 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, flat0103, emacs-devel

Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:48, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:45:28 +0200
>>> From: Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se>
>>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> It’s vc(-git) that’s causing it.  It runs git a couple of times, which
>>> is slow on Windows.  Unbelievably slow.
>
>> Can you tell which git commands are run when a file is visited, and
>> which are slow?
>
> Sorry, I have no insight into vc-mode, but I’m guessing that it runs
> git rev-parse --show-cdup, git status, and such command to determine
> the current status of the opened file.

If you have this

(setq vc-command-messages t)

then you can see the command that vc issues in the messages buffer.

* Re: slow opening of files in git directories in windows
@ 2011-10-27 11:15         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-10-27 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: now, flat0103, emacs-devel

> From: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:33:44 +0530
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, flat0103@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Nikolai Weibull <now@bitwi.se> writes:
>
> If you have this
>
> (setq vc-command-messages t)
>
> then you can see the command that vc issues in the messages buffer.

Sorry, I see no effect after setting this.  Maybe visiting a file
doesn't run any git commands?