* Regarding adding additional default font-lock faces
@ 2018-08-01 19:24 Jostein Kjønigsen
From: Jostein Kjønigsen @ 2018-08-01 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hey everyone.

When considering expanding on  things which gets fontified in  typescript-
mode (a third-party major-mode), we noticed that some fairly common use-
cases don't have any appropriate font-lock-face variable to use, meaning
major-mode developers will have to make their own, one new defface for
each mode.
Examples of such use-cases and faces would be:

 * function/method-call (that is invocation, not declaration)
 * attributes/annotations for functions, classes, not to mention function-
   parameters
I'm sure there are more, but those are at least some  examples.

Not having a default font-face for this forces third-party packages
which rely on standard font-lock-faces for most values, to introduce
inconsistency by  then suddenly creating some custom deffaces, which are
namespaced to their own package.
Add this up to several packages, and it can get messy. No theme will
certainly support this properly.
What does the emacs-community feel about expanding on the set of default
font-lock faces to include values for these? And how do we decided which
faces we should add?
--
Kind Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen