Hello all, Attached are three patches: 1. Fix `Info-default-directory-list' error during init. This moves the running of `custom-reevaluate-setting' on predefined variables to earlier during startup, so that `package-initialize' can access `Info-default-directory-list'. Without this patch, warnings are emitted during startup if packages with Info manuals are installed. 2. Documentation fixes for early init file changes. This clarifies in the Emacs manual what variables need to be customized in the early init file, and fixes a couple of docstrings in package.el that still referred to "loading" packages rather than "making them available". 3. Warn if `package-initialize' is called twice. This causes Emacs to emit a warning, by default, if `package-initialize' is called twice during init. I expect this to cause people a lot of warnings, but I think this is a good thing, since the alternative (currently) is a pretty bad performance regression if people leave a now-superfluous extra call to `package-initialize' in their init files. Plus, the fix is trivial: just delete the extra call. For people who really do want to call `package-initialize' twice for some reason, there is a new variable `package-warn-on-reinitialization' which can be customized to disable the warning. I believe this addresses all the problems people have noticed with the changes related to `package-initialize' and the early init file. Please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks for all the feedback and support! Best regards, Radon Rosborough