* Input Method for Indian Script
@ 2011-11-23  4:10 Mahmudul Hasan
From: Mahmudul Hasan @ 2011-11-23  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: handa

Hi Everyone,

Is there any way I can add a new input method for Bengali in Emacs ?

There are two input methods right now,
1. bengali-inscript,
2. bengali-itrans.

I would like to add another input method which will be like
bengali-inscript, with fixed, or touch
typing based keyboard layout.

Is it possible to add a layout like "Probhat" or "Bijoy" ? (reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_input_methods ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB-Bengali-Probhat.svg ).

I will appreciate if someone can tell me whether implementing one of these
fixed keyboard layout can be done with minimal effort.

Thank you,
Mahmudul Hasan
University of Lethbridge,
Alberta,Canada.

* Re: Input Method for Indian Script
@ 2011-11-24  1:38 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2011-11-24  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mahmudul Hasan; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <CADAHBw1xsB26bHPaDH-L07wP7i4VQu2WkQ42CpqYJQNvKy5HaA@mail.gmail.com>, Mahmudul Hasan <cs.mahmud@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any way I can add a new input method for Bengali in Emacs ?

> There are two input methods right now,
> 1. bengali-inscript,
> 2. bengali-itrans.

> I would like to add another input method which will be like
> bengali-inscript, with fixed, or touch
> typing based keyboard layout.

Do you mean that the current bengali-inscript is incorrect
and thus it should be "fixed"?  Or, you just want the
different behavior?

> Is it possible to add a layout like "Probhat" or "Bijoy" ? (reference:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_input_methods ,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB-Bengali-Probhat.svg ).

> I will appreciate if someone can tell me whether implementing one of these
> fixed keyboard layout can be done with minimal effort.

If those input methods are context free (i.e. the same key
(sequnece) always produces the same character(s)), making
a new input method is easy.

(quail-define-package "Probhat" "Bengali" TITLE t DOC-STRING
                      nil t t t t nil nil nil nil nil t)
(quail-define-rules
  (KEY CHAR)
  ...)

;; See the docstrings of quail-define-package and
;; quail-define-rules.

But, if an input method is not context free (e.g. the key
"a" produces different charaters depending on what you have
already typed), you need some Emacs Lisp programming skill.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Input Method for Indian Script