[Apologies for the premature send on the previous.] Unfortunately, that's not the correct fix. The code that's causing the error shouldn't be compiled at all on an NS build; it's in a large block that's conditioned on HAVE_PNG, which the NS build expects to be false, as that port supplies its on version of png_load(). The current incorrect configuration behavior appears to have been caused by: revno: 117059 fixes bug: http://debbugs.gnu.org/17339 committer: Paul Eggert branch nick: trunk timestamp: Sun 2014-05-04 14:28:08 -0700 message: Consult libpng-config more consistently. This is mainly for simplicity, but it should also avoid some future problems like the ones we recently had with NetBSD. * configure.ac (LIBPNG): Configure after LIBZ. Use libpng-config for cflags, too. Append -lz if we're not already doing that with LIBZ. Do not bother appending -lm, since we always append that. Coalesce some duplicate code. * src/Makefile.in (PNG_CFLAGS): New var. (ALL_CFLAGS): Use it. * src/image.c [HAVE_PNG]: Don't worry about , as CFLAGS now handles this.