On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:05 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > That's right, but this is exactly what I was trying to describe. When > I wrote "translation along the X axis", I meant the original X axis, > which is unaffected by the rotation. Are you saying that my > expectations are incorrect in that interpretation of "X axis"? > [...] > Maybe that's the problem: if the rotation is counter-clockwise, then > the translation should indeed be along the Y axis. The translation doesn't depend on the rotation in any way. The general form of an affine transformation is F(x) + b, where F is a linear transformation (rotation, shear, scaling) and addition by b is translation. In the example we're discussing, F is rotation by 90 degrees and b is (0, 232) in some coordinates. F does not act on b; the rotation does not affect what the translation does; whether F is clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation, the function displaces the result of the rotation along the (original) y axis. (The single-matrix form used by the transformation code in image.c is a computational convenience; the function it expresses still has the form F(x) + b.)