* Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system
@ 2011-07-24  5:16 Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2011-07-24  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I am struggling trying to get -ljpeg support on Mac OS X (Lion).  I can
build Emacs without graphics support just fine using XCode4 support but I
would now like to add some of the helpful additions that come with graphics
and image support.  My first attempt was to use MacPorts and install the
jpeg package.  I moved the jpeg include and lib files into /usr/include and
/usr/lib but configure still fails to detect jpeg support.  Before I try to
grok the autoconf script I am curious to know what approach is used by those
who do build on and for Mac OS X hardware to achieve graphics and image
support.

Thanks,

-pmr

* Re: Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system
@ 2011-07-24  8:04 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2011-07-24  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Michael Reilly skrev 2011-07-24 07:16:
> I am struggling trying to get -ljpeg support on Mac OS X (Lion).  I can build
> Emacs without graphics support just fine using XCode4 support but I would now
> like to add some of the helpful additions that come with graphics and image
> support.  My first attempt was to use MacPorts and install the jpeg package.
>   I moved the jpeg include and lib files into /usr/include and /usr/lib but
> configure still fails to detect jpeg support.  Before I try to grok the
> autoconf script I am curious to know what approach is used by those who do
> build on and for Mac OS X hardware to achieve graphics and image support.

If you configure --with-ns, Emacs displays images just fine without -ljpeg.
It uses other API:s.  Did you try opening a jpeg file?

	Jan D.

* Re: Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system
@ 2011-07-24 12:08   ` Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2011-07-24 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:

> Paul Michael Reilly skrev 2011-07-24 07:16:
>
>  I am struggling trying to get -ljpeg support on Mac OS X (Lion).  I can
>> build
>> Emacs without graphics support just fine using XCode4 support but I would
>> now
>> like to add some of the helpful additions that come with graphics and
>> image
>> support.  My first attempt was to use MacPorts and install the jpeg
>> package.
>>  I moved the jpeg include and lib files into /usr/include and /usr/lib but
>> configure still fails to detect jpeg support.  Before I try to grok the
>> autoconf script I am curious to know what approach is used by those who do
>> build on and for Mac OS X hardware to achieve graphics and image support.
>>

> If you configure --with-ns, Emacs displays images just fine without -ljpeg.
> It uses other API:s.  Did you try opening a jpeg file?

I did not.  And imagine my chagrin when I did and discovered that you are
right! :-)  Very nice indeed.

Is this generally true, that Emacs built on OS X will provide the same
functionality as, say, Linux, but without external libraries being
installed?

@ 2011-07-24 16:13     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2011-07-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Michael Reilly skrev 2011-07-24 14:08:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se
> <mailto:jan.h.d@swipnet.se>> wrote:
>
>     If you configure --with-ns, Emacs displays images just fine without -ljpeg.
>     It uses other API:s.  Did you try opening a jpeg file?
>

> I did not.  And imagine my chagrin when I did and discovered that you are
> right! :-)  Very nice indeed.
>
> Is this generally true, that Emacs built on OS X will provide the same
> functionality as, say, Linux, but without external libraries being installed?

Mostly yes.  Stuff that doesn't make sense (dbus, gconf) have no counterpart.
  Imagemagic is missing from the OSX port.

	Jan D.

* Re: Building Emacs with graphics support on a Mac system
@ 2011-07-24 22:43 Alp Aker
From: Alp Aker @ 2011-07-24 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: pmr, jan.h.d

Jan Djärv wrote:

> > Is this generally true, that Emacs built on OS X will provide the same
> > functionality as, say, Linux, but without external libraries being
> > installed?
>
> Mostly yes.  Stuff that doesn't make sense (dbus, gconf) have no
> counterpart.  Imagemagic is missing from the OSX port.

In the specific case of image support, the situation is (to be the best of my
understanding) as follows:

(1) xbm, pbm, xpm, jpeg, png, gif, and tiff images are supported without the
need of additional libraries.

(2) One can compile with librsvg if building on GNUstep, but the configure
script does not currently allow one to do that if building on Cocoa.  (But
the script is easily edited to allow building with librsvg on Cocoa, and svg
images will then display fine.)

(3) You *can* build with Imagemagick and Ghostscript support on OSX, but
again this requires manually editing the configure script.  The result seems
to work, but I haven't done any kind of thorough testing, so adding support
for these options on NextStep might not be as straightforward as it is in the
case of librsvg.

And there are two respects in which image support on NextStep is buggy:

(a) Image types that allow :foreground and :background keywords in their
descriptors will not default correctly to the frame foreground and background
colors when those keywords are omitted.  They default instead to black
(except in the case of xbm images; see the next item).  This most commonly
causes problems when viewing mono pbm files.  (I have patch for this that
I'll post after my copyright assignment is processed.)

(b) xbm images are always drawn with foreground in black and background in
the frame background color.  (I'll be posting a patch for this as well.)