On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 5:05 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > +(defcustom flymake-margin-indicators-string > > + `((error ,(if (char-displayable-p 8252) > > + "‼" > > + "!!") > > + compilation-error) > > When do you expect this value to be evaluated? > > In general, I wonder whether it would be simpler and wiser to use just > "!!", and leave it to users to customize to "‼" if their displays > support that. (We can mention the possibility in the doc string.) I implemented it in a similar way to how display-fill-column-indicator does with display-fill-column-indicator-character, this since I expect users to only set left-margin-width to 1, because if there is several errors on the same line, the indicators will be displayed next to each other and it could be confusing. However I agree that it is better to change it to just "!!", I fixed the patch and added a doc string for the possibility of including non-ASCII characters.