I don't know if it's The True Probleme that, if solved will bring to emacs a whole new batch of serious developers ready to spend their life to improve it. I don't think it is the case. But I'm with you on this issue. It's would be great to leave the jokes outside the "real" data. 2014/1/9 Eric S. Raymond > This is an issue completely orthogonal to the git transition, but > also motivated by my concern that the Emacs codebase and project raise > needless barriers to contribution. > > /etc is a mess. Over the years it's become a dumping ground for > miscellany. There are no fewer that four different files of > miscellaneous jokes! And a cookie recipe! And...stuff. > > I think this matters because newbies who try to browse it get lost. > Important things like the GNU Manifesto (yes, I agree it should > be treated as important despite my well-known disagreements with it) > are half-submerged in trivia, clutter, and files that only programs > rather than humans care about. > > I propose to fix this with a reorganization. /etc should be the data > directory for files used by Lisp and programs in the suite. The files > meant exclusively for human browsing - the jokes, the cookie recipe, > the Manifesto, the hacking guides - should move to a new directory > designated for such content. > > That directory should have a proper README of it own mapping the > content, so newbies can quickly grasp what is there and what they > might want to look at. > > Discuss. > -- > Eric S. Raymond > > "The power to tax involves the power to destroy;...the power to > destroy may defeat and render useless the power to create...." > -- Chief Justice John Marshall, 1819. > >