Okay, in that attachment of my previous mail, I forgot to comment out the `(set-window-margins nil 4)`. So here I another mail (and attachment) with an extremely brief recipe: - load the file in the attachment - do `M-x baleen2` - type 'emacs' followed by RET - do `M-x find-function` `baleen2` and uncomment the line `(set-window-margins nil 4)` in the function - (re)evalute and repeat (do `M-x baleen2`, try typing 'emacs') notice the buffer update speed difference Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks! On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 21:53, dalanicolai wrote: > B.t.w if someone want to have a look, I'll attach a smaller file here where > I have just removed about 200 pages of the book text data, so that it is > the file is much smaller, but there is still enough date to clearly show > the > 'undesired' behavior. > > So now, Emacs will not 'hang', but there will still be a clear difference > in time it > takes to update the buffer (between when window margins are displayed, > and when they are not). > > On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 21:41, dalanicolai wrote: > >> I hope you might have an idea what causes this behavior. And maybe you >> have a suggestion how to prevent it. Furthermore, I guess the behavior >> might >> be interesting for you to note/observe (but that is just a guess). >> >> On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 at 21:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> >>> > From: dalanicolai >>> > Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 21:26:05 +0100 >>> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org >>> > >>> > I have not really looked at it yet, but just as a quick thought: >>> > I am not sure if/why I should debug an infloop, because the >>> functionality >>> > works perfectly fine when not showing the margins (i.e. when just >>> setting >>> > the window margins to nil). So it seems to me its not about an >>> infinite loop. >>> > >>> > I was saying 'more or less' because it does not really hang, it just >>> takes >>> > extremely long to update the buffer text. When waiting long enough, >>> > then it seems to continue. >>> > >>> > Of course, I don't want to waste your time, but I think my instructions >>> > for reproducing the error, are very clear and short this time (i.e. >>> take less >>> > than/about a minute). I think it would be most informative if you >>> reproduce the >>> > error there. >>> >>> What should I do after I reproduce it, though? What are your >>> expectations from me (or whoever else tries your recipe)? >>> >>