Thanks for the explanation... > No, the -pkg.el file is generated by ELPA using the information from the > main file. There is no need to write it yourself, in fact it is a waste > effort since it will be overwritten anyway. Package-vc does the same > btw. > I was trying to create a multi-file package, but before submitting it to elpa-devel, I was testing locally if I did things correctly. So I defined a 'local archive' in a directory, then uploaded the .tar file to that directory/archive, and then checked if installing worked. When doing this, it seemed necessary to create the -pkg.el file manually. Anyway, I understand things better now. Thanks again! On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 at 10:35, Philip Kaludercic wrote: > dalanicolai writes: > > > Ah okay, I see. > > > > So I assume that this means that as a function 'define-package' was > > redundant, but we should still include a 'define-package' in the > > -pkg.el file of a multi file package? > > No, the -pkg.el file is generated by ELPA using the information from the > main file. There is no need to write it yourself, in fact it is a waste > effort since it will be overwritten anyway. Package-vc does the same > btw. > > > The initial comment of 'package.el' mentions that the -pkg.el file > > should consist of 'a call to' define-package. I would say this > > formulation is somewhat confusing/misleading then? > > You are right, that comment is outdated and should be revised. > > > Or is the -pkg.el file just outdated? And did I miss the news about it? > > No, the file is still required because it contains the package > descriptor. The only thing that changed is that instead of the contents > being evaluated as code, they are read in and processed manually. > Without that file, you will notice that `package-load-descriptor' > wouldn't add the package to `package-alist', which in turn means that > `package--activate-all' wouldn't activate it. > > > On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 at 20:32, Philip Kaludercic > wrote: > > > >> Eli Zaretskii writes: > >> > >> >> From: dalanicolai > >> >> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 17:21:04 +0100 > >> >> > >> >> Can I ask why 'define-package' was marked obsolete? > >> > > >> > It never did anything useful. Its original implementation just > >> > signaled an error. > >> > >> I just looked up the definition from when package.el was merged[0], and > it > >> did stuff, mainly modifying `package-alist'. > >> > >> [0] > >> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el?id=44198b6ee97bcb0ac88a5cadd1bf9b62048d0156#n513 > >> > >> -- > >> Philip Kaludercic > >> >