Actually, I am not sure where I will focus on next. I think in pdf-tools, the scaling part is already correctly taken care of without extra work (while fixing that would probably take me a lot of time in doc-view). Also, I have mailed the current maintainer about merging pdf-tools into Emacs, and he is certainly willing to do that (and try to get Andread Politza, its original developer, to sign the papers). So, I think that I will/should focus now again on trying to get this working, fully, in pdf-tools (and see this as a helpful exercise, pdf-tools for sure is partly based on doc-view code). On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 11:58, dalanicolai wrote: > I have more or less no experiences with patches, so I hope you don't mind > that I am just quickly ask here; > so are (or can be) these kind of 'subcommits' and their commit messages > part of some final patch. Or is > there some other way to handle it? > > On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 11:53, dalanicolai wrote: > >> I am not sure how to best handle this, but I figured I'll better keep you >> involved (get feedback better sooner than later). >> >> So I have got the code for a first 'working' example for the continuous >> scroll. >> >> Let me comment a little first: >> So I've started from the Proof of Concept here >> , on which I commented >> on more already in the thread here >> >> (original thread is here >> ). >> >> >> A very short, but 'noteworthy' digression ... >> >> I'd really like to mention that I get no hits when searching for that >> thread >> >> (actually searching >> for 'the original thread') when searching on `multi image PDF` in the >> Emacs devel archive. >> (This time) it is not due to too many results. Would be great if you >> could inform me why that >> does not work. >> >> >> Back to the main subject... >> >> So I will attach two files here, the first is an 'adapted' bookroll.el >> file, and the second is a >> a modified doc-view file that implements the first 'rudimentary' >> continuous scroll for PDF >> documents(despite the subject title of this message, I am simply >> attaching the file, >> as you can then more simply load and try it, while I guess you must be >> capable of diffing it with >> the latest doc-view.el file yourself ;). >> For, now it only works on PDF documents (I hope all of them), because I >> have to find good 'splitting points' for the various overlays (this was >> the original approach >> that I'd used in pdf-view, I prefer to keep the document it's contents in >> the buffer and drawing >> the overlays over it). For other types of documents I've tried to >> 'determine' split points using `forward-line`, but that did not give >> satisfactory results. >> >> I am not sure if the bookroll-mode should be a separate package (like >> image-mode), >> or that it could just get merged into doc-view. But it is as it is for >> the development process. >> >> So now some comments on the files/approach: >> >> To understand the approach of bookmark.el, it is probably most useful to >> look at the Proof >> of Concept file to which I have linked already above. It simply draws a >> triplet of images (pages) >> for each page (and a doublet for the first and last pages), and then it >> uses a 'currently-displayed-images' list, and refreshes pages when >> necessary by comparing with that list. The current page is the page that >> takes more than half of the window height. >> >> In the single page doc-view there is a single overlay, that informs via >> its properties many doc-view functions about which step to take next (it >> controls the doc-view 'process'). In the bookroll >> doc-view version, This overlay is kept as a 'control' overlay, which is >> not used for containing images. The overlays for 'holding' the images are >> in the `overlay-list`. (Although this solution >> for the control overlay looks simple, it took me quite some investigation >> and error and trial to >> come up with it, which is also to say that I think it is a nice solution). >> >> For now, the scrolling is too continuous (i.e. now separation indicator >> between the pages), but I >> am planning to embed the files in svg images (as I have done in djvu3.el >> ), so that it will be easy >> to draw a line between the pages >> >> So, anyone who is interested can have a look at the code, and of course >> any feedback and suggestions are welcome I am no experienced programmer, >> and I am also fairly new to Emacs >> (actually Spacemacs which I think is (also) a really great project). I am >> only able to do this because of your great (documentation) work :) If you >> find things that looks like 'bad developing >> process practice', then I am very happy with good/better suggestions. >> >> As I have to take care of 'fixing' the 'resizing/scaling/zoom' >> functionality now, any comments >> ideas on that part would be welcome in particular... >> >> Quite obviously, to test it, load the bookmark.el file, then load the >> doc-view.el file, open some PDF document and start scrolling using `j`/`k`. >> >