Do we have any figures on the percentage of users on different platforms and of those, how many of them actually need this insecure POP3 functionality? I would have thought very few users actually need the movemail feature, especially on non-POSIX systems. Also, why is an insecure pop3 process the only solution or is it really the only solution because nobody has put time into a better secure solution? On 2 August 2017 at 04:46, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org > > From: Paul Eggert > > Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 09:18:57 -0700 > > > > >> Should we delete the movemail program, given these problems with it? > > > No, because non-Posix systems have no choice but use it. Gnu > > > Mailutils are blatantly Posix-centric and don't build on anything > > > else. > > > > Instead of deleting movemail, we could change 'configure' so that > > '--without-pop' is the default. This wouldn't affect platforms that use > GNU > > Mailutils, and would improve security on other platforms' default > installation. > > Once again, since the main mass of users of this program seems no > longer to dwell on Posix platforms, please do NOT take away the POP3 > option by default. > > -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross