On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 at 05:15, Mike Kupfer wrote: > I upgraded from 27.1 to 27.2-rc2 over the weekend and noticed that Org > mode behaves differently, even with "emacs -Q". > > In 27.1, if I visit foo.org and type "* header RET", point is put in the > first column. In 27.2, point is put in column 3. > > This behavior is apparently controlled by org-adapt-indentation, which > is t in both 27.1 and 27.2. So maybe the behavior change is the result > of a bug fix? Should this be documented in NEWS somewhere? > > > This is actually a side effect of org now honouring electric-indent-mode. There is a section about this in the org NEWS file. Previously, org did not support electric-indent-mode. Adding this support means that org-adapt-indentation now acts slightly differently than it did before and can be impacted by the setting of electric-indent-mode. I would agree that the NEWS item on org-adaptive-indent should probably referrence the entry on electric-indent-mode (and vice-versa) and the two entries probably should be closer together in the NEWS file. -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross