Nice and useful idea. thanks On 5 March 2017 at 09:46, Kaushal Modi wrote: > I have this in my config which works very well. I use this just for org :) > I build org from its master branch, so I do not want the dependency check > to auto-install older versions from Elpa. > > ;; http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/26513/115 > (defun modi/package-dependency-check-ignore (orig-ret) > "Remove the `black listed packages' from ORIG-RET. > Packages listed in the let-bound `pkg-black-list' will not be > auto-installed > even if they are found as dependencies. > It is known that this advice is not effective when installed packages > asynchronously using `paradox'. Below is effective on synchronous > package installations." > (let ((pkg-black-list '(org)) > new-ret > pkg-name) > (dolist (pkg-struct orig-ret) > (setq pkg-name (package-desc-name pkg-struct)) > (if (member pkg-name pkg-black-list) > (message (concat "Package `%s' will not be installed. " > "See `modi/package-dependency-check-ignore'.") > pkg-name) > ;; (message "Package to be installed: %s" pkg-name) > (push pkg-struct new-ret))) > new-ret)) > (advice-add 'package-compute-transaction :filter-return > #'modi/package-dependency-check-ignore) > > https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-packages.el > > On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:41 PM Tim Cross wrote: > >> Is there a way to specify alternative dependencies in a package? >> >> Situation: installing a package is resulting in an additional package >> being installed even though the dependencies for the package have already >> been satisfied by another package. This results in two packages being >> installed which provide overlapping functionality. >> >> Example. I have installed org-plus-contrib. I then install elfeed-org, >> which has a dependency on org. This results in the org package being >> installed, but org is already installed as part of the org-plus-contrib >> package. >> >> I'm trying to work out if this is a problem with how dependencies are >> defined in the elfeed-org package or is it a problem with how >> org-plus-conrib is specifying what dependency it satisfies? Need to know in >> order to determine where this issue needs to be logged. >> > -- > > Kaushal Modi > -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross