From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 06:32:09 +1100	[thread overview]

iThe emacsforosx binaries work well and are fine if you don't want to
actually compile fro source.

BTW I don't think you should be overly concerned about homebrew not using
sudo. While there are issues with homebrew on multi-use systems, the way it
works without sudo is really no different to downloading the source and
building it in your home directory and running it from there. Yes, it does
store the software in /usr/local, but it is not installing it as
root/system, but as your user (one reason it doesn't work well with
multi-user systems). If you really want, you can install it within your
home directory (although this can cause some problems with some recipes
where the source expects to be installed in /usr/local and you will need to
handle linking to bin dirs yourself).  Main point is, homebrew isn't doing
dangerous things with suid etc in order to avoid sudo and your not
installing something which has dangerous escalated privileges etc. There
are all the standard risks of installing software from the 'net', but these
are no different whether you use sudo or not.

--
regards,

Tim

--