On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 14:36, Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > Yes, but more specifically, what are the goals of ELPA (and the > proposed > > ELPA without copyright assignment)? How are these to fit into the GNU > Emacs > > eco-system? > > For us, the question is how they fit into the GNU Project and with its > goals of freedom. However, most of the specific questions you brought > up are mostly practical. > > You posed one question has an answer that comes from a nontechnical basis: > > > What about platforms - do packages need to support all > > the same platforms that Emacs supports? > > Each package, and each feature in each package, must support the GNU > system, and in particular GNU/Linux. Support for any other systems, > including Windows and MacOS, is optional. > > That seems clear and makes sense. > The rest of these questions you posed are purely practical. > > > What should go into ELPA, what should go into Emacs 'core'? How > > will these ELPA archives work with GNU Emacs releases? (e.g. Do the > > packages in these archives need to be compliant with new release, such > as > > not using functions flagged obsolete, using updated versions of > > libs/modules in emacs core etc). Will an Emacs release be held up if > there > > is a package in ELPA that does not work with new version? When can > packages > > be updated and what backwards compatibility with older versions of > Emacs > > should they support? ... for the archive where copyright is > > assigned to the FSF, who is responsible for maintenance and updates? > When > > should packages be removed? > > and the Emacs developers (talking with this list) > can work out good practical answers. > I think getting some initial answers/position on some of these could help. For the type of packages we would like under a GNU managed archive, we need to make that processes as easy and straight-forward as possible for both the developers and those who perform critical maintenance processes. I'm willing to try and assist here if possible. As a starting point, would it be worthwhile starting some discussion threads in emacs-devel for each question. I could then try and collate the responses into a single document which could be a starting point. For example, I would probably start with the question "What criteria should we use to determine if a module, library, feature etc go into GNU Emacs core, or GNU ELPA? What do others think? I could also have a thread asking for questions which should be answered or things which should be documented with respect to ELPA. > > -- > Dr Richard Stallman > Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org) > Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org) > Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org) > > > -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross