On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 at 18:33, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Tim Cross > > Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 14:10:50 +1100 > > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > I wonder if it would be possible for make maintainer-clean to somehow > > look at what is in .gitignore and ensure anything in there is also > > removed? Would be good if at least that target returned the repo to an > > exact replica of what you would get if you did a fresh clone. > > First, you should be using extraclean, not maintainer-clean; see the > top-level Makefile.in for the documentation of the various clean > targets. > > And second, we should simply make sure extraclean removes all the > generated files, as documented, and keep it that way. Looking into > .gitignore means either building its interpreter into our build system > (a non-trivial job, AFAIU), or using Git itself to do the job, which > would mean the job cannot be done without Git -- a disadvantage, IMO. > In that case, either extraclean should be added to the make help output or if the preferred mechanism is to read Makefile.in, then remove make help. -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross