How will any of this differ from the many existing canned default setups already available? In fact, given the limitation on only using Emacs built-in packages, is it even possible to do a setup which is even close to some of these canned setups, many of which appear to be targeted at new users (spacemacs, doom, prelude, etc). Are we just talking about a GNU canned configuration? On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 10:37, Stefan Kangas wrote: > Sébastien Gendre writes: > > > For these 4 use-cases, we can simply provide 2 flavors of Emacs: > > - Emacs: With all the 2020 features, a modern interface, all needed > > modern features to start coding with most popular languages and easy > > to use for basic usages > > - Emacs Vanilla: All the new features are still there, but deactivate > > to not break anything > > I'm personally not against the idea of having a separate backwards > compatibility mode. > > But I guess we would need to pull in several third-party packages to > have a modern "batteries included" Emacs. AFAIK, that is > unfortunately not possible given the copyright assignment requirement. > But perhaps a default "modern" mode could be a bit less ambitious. > > Best regards, > Stefan Kangas > > -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross