OK, this is one of those instances where the specific build and local configuration make a difference. I have this in my init.el (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta) (setq mac-option-modifier 'none) which makes things work like my Linux system (I use 'super' for OS level actions, like switching desktops, rather than for Emcs. This also means I don't have 's' (super) mappings in emacs. If you wanted to just get rid of s-t, you could unbind the key and problem solved. e.g. (global-unset-key "s-t") On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 16:35, Mark H. David wrote: > C-h k > > => > > s-t runs the command ns-popup-font-panel (found in global-map), which > is an interactive built-in function in ‘C source code’. > > It is bound to s-t. > > (ns-popup-font-panel &optional FRAME) > > Pop up the font panel. > > > ----- Original message ----- > From: Tim Cross > To: "Mark H. David" > Cc: chad , Alan Third , EMACS > development team > Subject: Re: Annoying Fonts Window in Emacs on MacOS - How to Hide > Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 5:47 PM > > that is a good point regarding the version/build of Emacs. I use to build > using the homebrew recipe, then I used the pre-built homebrew keg > (essentially emacsformac version), but now I use railwaycat's recipe as > I've found it to be the best (best meaning emacs behaves most like it does > on Linux and what I'm use to). > > > What happens if you do C-h k and then enter command+t? > > On my system, that runs 'transpose words'. If Emacs does not respond when > you enter command+t then it means that key binding is being picked up by > the macOS and not emacs and must be turned off at the OS level. > > On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 09:16, Mark H. David wrote: > > > I wasn't quite sure myself, so here's what I did: I downloaded and > installed from emacsformacosx.com and tried this. > Bottom line: same problem reproducible in latest versions. > I took notes, so here are all the gory details: > > - Go to https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ > - Click MacOS download button > - Now here: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html#macos > - Click Emacs for OSX link > - Now here: https://emacsformacosx.com/ > - Click Other Versions button > - Now here: https://emacsformacosx.com/builds > - Click "Emacs-26.3-universal.dmg" link to download it > - It downloaded the file at following URL > https://emacsformacosx.com/emacs-builds/Emacs-26.3-universal.dmg > - I then installed, and then brought it up. > - Now here's version info: "GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, > x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, NS appkit-1671.20 Version 10.14.3 (Build > 18D109)) of 2019-09-02" > - Result: same behavior as described before (Command+T shows but does not > hide annoying fonts window.) > > ----- Original message ----- > From: chad > To: "Mark H. David" > Cc: Alan Third , EMACS development team < > emacs-devel@gnu.org> > Subject: Re: Annoying Fonts Window in Emacs on MacOS - How to Hide > Date: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:09 PM > > If you don't mind me asking, how are you getting a modern Emacs on macOS? > In particular, are you building it yourself, are you using homebrew, are > you running the Mac port, are you using emacsformacosx.com, or > railwaycat's github or homebrew build? I ask because this sort of > native-system setting is sometimes added/enabled by default in one of the > native-ized ports but not in the gnu master. (I no longer have good access > to a macOS machine to check for myself; sorry.) Knowing this might help > figure out how to deal with the (mis)feature -- particularly, not being > able to dismiss the font selector with Command-T, or not being able to > dismiss it at all. > > Thanks, > ~Chad > > On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 3:32 PM Mark H. David wrote: > > Fantastic - thank you. That would work as a workaround. > It seems a bug should be made for the behavior Command+T not getting rid > of the popup. Hopefully, that should not be too hard. The current behavior > seems to be if it's up already, don't do anything. It should be changed to > close the popup in that case. > Thoughts? > Thanks, > -Mark > > ----- Original message ----- > From: Alan Third > To: "Mark H. David" > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org > Subject: Re: Annoying Fonts Window in Emacs on MacOS - How to Hide > Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 3:18 PM > > On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:31:02PM -0700, Mark H. David wrote: > > I frequently type Command+T by mistake in Emacs because in browser > > apps (particularly Chrome) it's used for creating a new tab, and I > > do that so often, I must do it by mistake. I almost never change > > fonts, and never with command+t. Ever. So, I looked into this a bit, > > and it's a documented "feature" for Emacs on MacOS (see: > > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc14) and for MacOS > > generally for documents (see: > > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236). Apple's MacOS doc says: > > Command-T: Show or hide the Fonts window. > > > > In various apps with document windows (e.g., build-in TextEdit as > > well as Emacs) it is supposed to pop up a window thingee that lets > > you choose fonts. Whatever, I never use. I always just want to get > > rid of it. > > > > Here's the annoying and buggy part with respect to Emacs: you cannot > > hide it from the keyboard. It's supposed hidden by doing a second > > Command+T. That works in other apps, e.g., TextEdit, but it doesn't > > work in Emacs. In addition, you cannot select the popup "windoid" > > that results, even by Command+`. Even if you do select the windoid > > somehow (e.g., by clicking it), you cannot dismiss it by typing > > Command+W. > > Usually when I get the fonts window open I just can’t get rid of it at > all. > > I’d suggest unbinding super-t, something like: > > (global-unset-key (kbd "s-t")) > > -- > Alan Third > > > > > -- > regards, > > Tim > > -- > Tim Cross > > > -- regards, Tim -- Tim Cross