Eli wrote: > I suggest to rebuild Emacs without optimizations and with better debugging info: > > CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./configure > make > make install Thank you, Eli. Do I also need to run './autogen.sh' and './autogen.sh git' again? On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Itai Berli > > Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 02:25:17 +0300 > > > > I'm interesting in exploring the Emacs bidi feature, which is coded in > the files bidi.c and xdisp.c. > > > > To get my feet wet, I'd like to set a breakpoint in the beginning of one > of the functions in one of these files, I > > don't care which one, and step through the function in a debugger. > > > > Not only am I new to Emacs development, I'm also new to developing C > programs. Ideally, I'd like to do this in > > the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers (Oxygen Release 4.7.0). However, > I'm also willing to try another > > debugger, such as a command-line one, if it's easier to get started. > > > > My operating system is macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 (the latest > version). My LLVM version is 8.1.0 > > (clang-802.0.42). > > > > I'll appreciate it if someone can walk me through the steps needed to > get up and running. > > I don't use macOS, and so cannot tell you how to use lldb to debug > Emacs. Some advice is in etc/DEBUG, but its most useful parts are > heavily skewed towards GDB. So if possible, I suggest to install GDB > for macOS, I'm sure some version of it is available. That would allow > more people here to help you with specific commands and features of > the debugger. Debugging support in src/.gdbinit is also GDB-specific, > and I don't know how well does lldb emulate GDB for the commands > defined on .gdbinit to work in lldb. > > > I have downloaded Emacs from git by running > > > > > git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git > > > > I then compiled and installed it by running the following sequence of > scripts. > > > > > ./autogen.sh > > > ./autogen.sh git > > > ./configure > > > make > > > make install > > The default build uses optimization switches, which make debugging > harder. So I suggest to rebuild Emacs without optimizations and with > better debugging info: > > CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./configure > make > make install >