Hi Adrian! Thanks for shedding light on the early history of the NS port, and for the work you put in maintaining it. I will update the README file to include this! Sincerely, Anders Lindgren On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM, wrote: > > > Hi, > > First of all, as an OS X user and former maintainer I am very grateful > for the work you've done. (The improved NSTRACE is awesome!) And as > much as I wish I could step (back) up now myself to help out, I have too > many side projects as it is. I hope some others who enjoy working in > Objective-C / Cocoa (which remains an excellent though polarizing > development environment) will jump in. > > Thanks also for the new intro material, which will be useful. Just one > thing, about the HISTORY section -- while not actually inaccurate, it > leaves out some details of interest. What about something like the > following? > > -------- > > HISTORY > > The Nextstep (NS) interface of GNU Emacs was originally written in 1994 > for NeXTSTEP systems running Emacs 19 and subsequently ported to > OpenStep and then Rhapsody, which became Mac OS X. In 2004 it was > adapted to GNUstep, a free OpenStep implementation, and in 2008 it was > merged to the GNU Emacs trunk and released with Emacs 23. Around the > same time a separate Mac-only port using the Carbon APIs and descending > from a 2001 MacOS 8/9 port of Emacs 21 was removed. (It remains > available externally under the name "mac".) > > > best regards, > Adrian > > >