* ange-ftp with lftp
@ 2019-05-05 16:51 _RDS_
From: _RDS_ @ 2019-05-05 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Norman, Maintainer

I am attempting to use ange-ftp in emacs 26.2 with lftp 4.8.4.

lftp as a standalone client is fine. Inside an emacs terminal it is
operational, too.

However, upon executing

    emacs /ftp:anonymous@slackware.cs.utah.edu:/slackware/

from a console or xterm or invoking C-x C-f ...,

the emacs messages buffer displays

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Opening FTP connection to slackware.cs.utah.edu...
tramp-file-name-handler: FTP Error: OPEN request failed: LFTP | Version
4.8.4 | Copyright (c) 1996-2017 Alexander V. Lukyanov"

Here's the relevant entries in some key files

init.el
  (load "ange-ftp") ;;redundant?
  (require 'ange-ftp)
  (setq ange-ftp-default-user "anonymous")
  (setq ange-ftp-generate-anonymous-password t)
  (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "lftp")
  (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-args '("-v"))

~/.netrc
  default login anonymous password none

I have tried numerous variations of parameters plus other hosts with no
success. TRAMP with SSH is working, though.

Any clues to resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Guido

* Re: ange-ftp with lftp
@ 2019-05-05 17:19 ` Yuri Khan
       [not found]   ` <CABj_U1N20iBF2ou6o2CQ37+nhRQ=of1giGMsEcmsS=yWs+PoDw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Yuri Khan @ 2019-05-05 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: _RDS_; +Cc: Andy Norman, Maintainer

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 11:54 PM _RDS_ <rds1944@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to use ange-ftp in emacs 26.2 with lftp 4.8.4.

> tramp-file-name-handler: FTP Error: OPEN request failed: LFTP | Version 4.8.4 | Copyright (c) 1996-2017 Alexander V. Lukyanov"
>
> Here's the relevant entries in some key files
>
>   (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "lftp")
>   (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-args '("-v"))

I see no documentation on what lftp does with -v, but it looks like it
interprets it as a short form of --version.

* Re: ange-ftp with lftp
       [not found]     ` <CAP_d_8VQsApratNuob-cG8aTXh7E_tVYCv2BuS83h_9T-QGiEw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-05-05 18:59       ` _RDS_
From: _RDS_ @ 2019-05-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Andy Norman, Maintainer

Actually, I have never heard of ange-ftp + lftp. It's an experiment. (Maybe
a waste of time.)

>lftp seems to write to its output something that ange-ftp is not expecting.

That is likely the problem. Also emacs completely locks up unless I call
lftp with -d, the debug option.

I am attempting to emulate anonymous FTP in Midnight Commander (which works
seamlessly) on my emacs. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Guido

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 11:37 AM Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:32 AM _RDS_ <rds1944@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But why does messages buffer still show:
> >
> > "tramp-file-name-handler: FTP Error: OPEN request failed: lftp :~> ----
> Resolving host address..."
>
> Do you know from somewhere that ange-ftp actually works with lftp as
> the backend program? As far as I understand, it start it as a
> subprocess, sends commands through its standard input, and expects
> something that ange-ftp is not expecting.
>
> Also: When on a mailing list, keep the mailing list address in Cc.
> Unless you want to go private, which, most of the time, you don’t.

* Re: ange-ftp with lftp
@ 2019-05-09 15:00 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-05-09 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: _RDS_; +Cc: Andy Norman, Maintainer

_RDS_ <rds1944@gmail.com> writes:

> I am attempting to use ange-ftp in emacs 26.2 with lftp 4.8.4.
>
> lftp as a standalone client is fine. Inside an emacs terminal it is
> operational, too.
>
> However, upon executing
>
>     emacs /ftp:anonymous@slackware.cs.utah.edu:/slackware/
>
> from a console or xterm or invoking C-x C-f ...,
>
> the emacs messages buffer displays

> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> Opening FTP connection to slackware.cs.utah.edu...
> tramp-file-name-handler: FTP Error: OPEN request failed: LFTP |
> Version 4.8.4 | Copyright (c) 1996-2017 Alexander V. Lukyanov"
>
> Here's the relevant entries in some key files
>
> init.el
>   (load "ange-ftp") ;;redundant?
>   (require 'ange-ftp)
>   (setq ange-ftp-default-user "anonymous")
>   (setq ange-ftp-generate-anonymous-password t)
>   (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "lftp")
>   (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-args '("-v"))

AS Yuri said, "-v" is not an lftp option. So I would set
ange-ftp-ftp-program-args to '() (or nil).

And there are more variables to adapt. For example, comint-prompt-regexp
in the internal ange-ftp buffer has the value "^ftp> ", which doesn't
fit to lftp. This is hard-coded in function internal-ange-ftp-mode.

Finally, you'll need to debug ange-ftp in order to let it run with lftp.

> Thank you.
>
> Guido

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp with lftp