Actually, I have never heard of ange-ftp + lftp. It's an experiment. (Maybe a waste of time.) >lftp seems to write to its output something that ange-ftp is not expecting. That is likely the problem. Also emacs completely locks up unless I call lftp with -d, the debug option. I am attempting to emulate anonymous FTP in Midnight Commander (which works seamlessly) on my emacs. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks. Guido On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 11:37 AM Yuri Khan wrote: > On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:32 AM _RDS_ wrote: > > > But why does messages buffer still show: > > > > "tramp-file-name-handler: FTP Error: OPEN request failed: lftp :~> ---- > Resolving host address..." > > Do you know from somewhere that ange-ftp actually works with lftp as > the backend program? As far as I understand, it start it as a > subprocess, sends commands through its standard input, and expects > responses on standard output. lftp seems to write to its output > something that ange-ftp is not expecting. > > Also: When on a mailing list, keep the mailing list address in Cc. > Unless you want to go private, which, most of the time, you don’t. >