* emacs modules memory leak in 27
@ 2020-07-20 16:41 Milan Stanojević
From: Milan Stanojević @ 2020-07-20 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This is on emacs-27 branch.

env-make_global_ref will add a reference to the underlying Lisp_Object
and allocate emacs_value from the global storage. env->free_global_ref
on the other hand will only remove a reference to the underlying
Lisp_Object and not free the emacs_value.

The global storage of emacs_values seems to be only growing and is
never collected (and I think with the current array implementation it
is probably not possible to collect).

This leak is not present in 26 and I think the leak was introduced
with the change in the underlying representation of emacs_value. (If
I'm reading git history right, since 26 this was changed and then
reverted and then changed again).

* Re: emacs modules memory leak in 27
@ 2020-07-22 23:37 ` Milan Stanojević
From: Milan Stanojević @ 2020-07-22 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I submitted the bug report.

I wonder if some kind of hybrid approach would work. Use the same
representation like emacs-26 (emacs_value is Lisp_Object) but also
have an array of emacs_values created in the environment (like in
emacs-27) that can be used to mark them for garbage collection. Global
storage wouldn't be necessary.