Eli Zaretskii schrieb am Sa., 23. Dez. 2017 um 16:00 Uhr: > > Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 16:52:16 +0200 > > From: Eli Zaretskii > > Cc: phst@google.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > Btw, doesn't find_charsets_in_text do the same job cleaner and > > quicker? AFAIU, all you need is make sure there are no characters > > from the 2 eight-bit-* charsets in the text, or did I miss something? > > Ah, I see you test the encoded string, so find_charsets_in_text won't > do. But maybe find_charsets_in_text could be called on the original > strings before encoding them, which would be even better? > I'd want to avoid that because it makes the coding check mandatory. With my patch, the additional check only happens in the failure case, when we signal an error. Also find_charsets_in_text seems really hard to use and seems overblown for a simple "is UTF-8" check.