On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Michael Albinus wrote: > Douglas Lewan writes: > > > Michael, > > Hi Doug, > > > So far, I've downloaded source for emacs 26.1 and built it > > (in a somewhat hobbled development environment -- no X development, > > no image support, without gnutls). > > I've loaded tramp and url-tramp and opened test files (with names > > ending in '.cpio). > > All I get is "File not found and directory is write-protected". > > > > I assume I'm missing something. Can you help? > > tramp-archive.el is new in Emacs 27 and Tramp 2.4. So you might use > latest sources from either Emacs or Tramp repository. > Forgive me, but I don't know where the latest sources are. People write of them, but don't give explicit references. > > Also, a quick look suggests that libarchive may not be universally > > available. I'm a big fan of portability, if it's possible, so, if > > that's the case, then I might prefer to avoid it. Any thoughts? > > Yes, that's a problem. Maybe we could do something like Emacs does for > dired. Where applicable, it uses the external "ls" command, otherwise it > uses the ls-lisp library. > > This means, we should use an Elisp implementation (like your cpio code) > on systems which have no libarchive(3) support, for the cost of > supporting less archive formats. The upper interface would still be a > file name handler like tramp-archive provides as of today; all other > packages using this wouldn't care the underlying implementation. > Seems reasonable. This would probably be a late addition for my cpio-mode, but I'm more than willing to do it. Does your tramp code allow for editing of archive entries and their attributes? That would be a necessary piece of guaranteeing a consistent user experience. -- ,Doug Douglas Lewan (908) 720-7908 Member of the PKRA.