From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
To: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: An issue with GDI? [Windows]
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 16:53:58 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 3:58 PM Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> wrote:

> Now a few day ago there was an update of the Cascadia Code font. With
this new version I have only 37 useful line of text for writing because the
gap between lines increased.

I had the very same issue.

> Someone there flagged that the issue could be related to the fact that
Emacs and some other app (VIM) use the GDI which is too old. See the
discussion following the above link.

> Would it help to rebuild Emacs without GDI? The build I am using was done
e few week ago with master 20200502_225014.

By default, master on Windows is using HarfBuzz to display characters, not
GDI. This is the first character of my .emacs (a semicolon):

             position: 1 of 42188 (0%), column: 0
            character: ; (displayed as ;) (codepoint 59, #o73, #x3b)
              charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x3B
               script: latin
               syntax: < which means: comment
             category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 3b" or "C-x 8 RET SEMICOLON"
          buffer code: #x3B
            file code: #x3B (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    harfbuzz:-outline-Cascadia Code
PL-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x29B)

Anyway, Cascadia's changelog says:  " We've changed the typographic metrics
a bit to align with best practices and move away from using legacy Windows
GDI values."

And has a link to  https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/pull/261
that says: "This change modifies the font vertical metrics for better
consistency cross-platform. Block drawing characters adjusted to account
for new metrics."