* Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-01 23:59 Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-06-01 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A few days ago I succesfully built Emacs on Windows using the MSYS build
with `make -j4'. Since, I updated MSYS to the latest package versions
available through mingw-get and updated Emacs sources too.

Now, `make -j4' hangs.

Starting from a pristine state (all generated files deleted, empty build
directory) `make -j4 bootstrap' hangs thus:

(/d/dev/emacs/autoconf is the build directory, source directory is
/d/dev/emacs/emacs)

make[1]: Entering directory `/d/dev/emacs/autoconf/lib'
test -z "" || rm -f
test -z "libgnu.a " || rm -f libgnu.a
rm -f *.o
test -z "core *.stackdump alloca.h alloca.h-t errno.h errno.h-t execinfo.h execi
nfo.h-t getopt.h getopt.h-t arg-nonnull.h arg-nonnull.h-t c++defs.h c++defs.h-t
warn-on-use.h warn-on-use.h-t stdalign.h stdalign.h-t stdarg.h stdarg.h-t stdboo
l.h stdbool.h-t stddef.h stddef.h-t stdint.h stdint.h-t " || rm -f core *.stackd
ump alloca.h alloca.h-t errno.h errno.h-t execinfo.h execinfo.h-t getopt.h getop
t.h-t arg-nonnull.h arg-nonnull.h-t c++defs.h c++defs.h-t warn-on-use.h warn-on-
use.h-t stdalign.h stdalign.h-t stdarg.h stdarg.h-t stdbool.h stdbool.h-t stddef
.h stddef.h-t stdint.h stdint.h-t
rm -f *.tab.c

It uses 100% of a CPU core, no changing memory usage. After 10 minutes I
try to kill it but doesn't respond to Control-C, so killed it with the
task manager and then the console shows:

make: *** [bootstrap-clean] Error 1
make: INTERNAL: Exiting with 1 jobserver tokens available; should be 4!

Also starting from a pristine state, a plain `make -j4' (without
`bootstrap') fails on a similar way on another place. `make -j1' works.

It seems that the latest MSYS/Make combo available from mingw-get is
broken when using parallel jobs.

make --version
GNU Make 3.81

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02  2:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-02  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 01:59:09 +0200
>
> A few days ago I succesfully built Emacs on Windows using the MSYS build
> with `make -j4'. Since, I updated MSYS to the latest package versions
> available through mingw-get and updated Emacs sources too.
>
> Now, `make -j4' hangs.

GNU Make 3.81 that is part of the official MSYS distribution does not
support parallel execution.  That is what you are experiencing.

nt/INSTALL.MSYS says:

  If/when you are confident in your MinGW/MSYS installation, and want
  to speed up the builds, we recommend installing a pre-release
  version of Make from here:

     https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/

  These are snapshot builds of many packages, but you only need
  make.exe from there.  The advantage of this make.exe is that it
  supports parallel builds, so you can use "make -j N" to considerably
  speed up your builds

This describes the version of Make I use, which identifies itself as
3.82.90, and it does support parallel jobs.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02  4:07   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-02  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Emacs developers

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 4:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> GNU Make 3.81 that is part of the official MSYS distribution does not
> support parallel execution.  That is what you are experiencing.
[...]
> This describes the version of Make I use, which identifies itself as
> 3.82.90, and it does support parallel jobs.

  Juanma@ODIEONE /c/devel/emacs/repo/msys
  $ make -v
  GNU Make 3.82.90
  Built for i686-pc-msys

and "make -j N" also causes hangups here.

Another oddity: in place installation (setting
--prefix=c:/Devel/emacs/repo/msys where my source tree is) creates an
empty c/ dir along with the populated libexec/, share/ and var/.

   Juanma

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 10:04   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-06-02 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> A few days ago I succesfully built Emacs on Windows using the MSYS build
>> with `make -j4'. Since, I updated MSYS to the latest package versions
>> available through mingw-get and updated Emacs sources too.
>>
>> Now, `make -j4' hangs.
>
> GNU Make 3.81 that is part of the official MSYS distribution does not
> support parallel execution.  That is what you are experiencing.

Before upgrading my MSYS install I did a parallel make and it worked (I
remember because noticed how the built took a fraction of the usual
time.) Maybe the upgrade messed things up.

> nt/INSTALL.MSYS says:
>
>   If/when you are confident in your MinGW/MSYS installation, and want
>   to speed up the builds, we recommend installing a pre-release
>   version of Make from here:
>
>      https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/
>
>   These are snapshot builds of many packages, but you only need
>   make.exe from there.  The advantage of this make.exe is that it
>   supports parallel builds, so you can use "make -j N" to considerably
>   speed up your builds
>
> This describes the version of Make I use, which identifies itself as
> 3.82.90, and it does support parallel jobs.

It also hangs here, both with Emacs and with an unrelated project. Maybe
the problem is MSYS.

Oscar@winxppro-vm /d/dev/emacs/autoconf
$ time make -j 4 bootstrap

[...]

rm -f *.tab.c
Makefile:847: recipe for target `bootstrap-clean' failed
make: *** [bootstrap-clean] Error 1
make: INTERNAL: Exiting with 1 jobserver tokens available; should be 4!

real    8m26.837s
user    2m43.179s
sys     2m53.622s

Oscar@winxppro-vm /d/dev/emacs/autoconf
$ which make
/mingw/bin/make.exe

@ 2013-06-02 15:14     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-02 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 06:07:06 +0200
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>,
> 	Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 4:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > GNU Make 3.81 that is part of the official MSYS distribution does not
> > support parallel execution.  That is what you are experiencing.
> [...]
> > This describes the version of Make I use, which identifies itself as
> > 3.82.90, and it does support parallel jobs.
>
>   Juanma@ODIEONE /c/devel/emacs/repo/msys
>   $ make -v
>   GNU Make 3.82.90
>   Built for i686-pc-msys
>   Copyright (C) 2010  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>   License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>   This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>   There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> and "make -j N" also causes hangups here.

Did you also upgrade your MSYS lately?  Or did you never tried the
parallel build before?

> Another oddity: in place installation (setting
> --prefix=c:/Devel/emacs/repo/msys where my source tree is) creates an
> empty c/ dir along with the populated libexec/, share/ and var/.

Can you figure out which command run as part of "make install" does
that?  (Try "Ctrl-S" from time to time, as the installation runs, and
look when it is created.)

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 15:30     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-02 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:04:53 +0200
>
> It also hangs here, both with Emacs and with an unrelated project. Maybe
> the problem is MSYS.
>
> Oscar@winxppro-vm /d/dev/emacs/autoconf
> $ time make -j 4 bootstrap
>
> [...]
>
> rm -f *.tab.c
> Makefile:847: recipe for target `bootstrap-clean' failed
> make: *** [bootstrap-clean] Error 1
> make: INTERNAL: Exiting with 1 jobserver tokens available; should be 4!

Could be.  Perhaps ask a question om the MinGW mailing list, maybe
someone there will know something.

FWIW, I'm still using MSYS v1.0.17-1, and don't have any problems on 2
different machines (XP and Windows 7).  I didn't upgrade to 1.0.18,
and don't plan to any time soon, as what I have now has proven to be
very stable for many moons.  So perhaps try to downgrade to the
version I use and see if that helps.

Do you happen to know which packages exactly were updated, or can find
that out?

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 15:55       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-02 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Emacs developers

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Did you also upgrade your MSYS lately?  Or did you never tried the
> parallel build before?

Yesterday was my first MSYS build.

> Can you figure out which command run as part of "make install" does
> that?  (Try "Ctrl-S" from time to time, as the installation runs, and
> look when it is created.)

I'll try to catch the culprit and report back.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 18:22       ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-06-02 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> It also hangs here, both with Emacs and with an unrelated project. Maybe
>> the problem is MSYS.
>
> Could be.  Perhaps ask a question om the MinGW mailing list, maybe
> someone there will know something.
>
> FWIW, I'm still using MSYS v1.0.17-1, and don't have any problems on 2
> different machines (XP and Windows 7).  I didn't upgrade to 1.0.18,
> and don't plan to any time soon, as what I have now has proven to be
> very stable for many moons.  So perhaps try to downgrade to the
> version I use and see if that helps.
>
> Do you happen to know which packages exactly were updated, or can find
> that out?

I don't know the details (is there a log anywhere?) but mingw-get
upgraded lots of packages including MSYS itself.

It seems that MSYS is the culprit, because after putting make.exe
3.82.90 into an ancient MSYS 1.0.11 install (plus msys-iconv-2.dll and
msys-intl-8.dll which make depends on) parallel builds work.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 18:36         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 20:22:46 +0200
>
> > Do you happen to know which packages exactly were updated, or can find
> > that out?
>
> I don't know the details (is there a log anywhere?)

Sorry, I don't know: I don't use mingw-get.

> It seems that MSYS is the culprit, because after putting make.exe
> 3.82.90 into an ancient MSYS 1.0.11 install (plus msys-iconv-2.dll and
> msys-intl-8.dll which make depends on) parallel builds work.

mingw-get can downgrade, but I don't remember the command syntax,
sorry.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 19:10           ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-06-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> It seems that MSYS is the culprit, because after putting make.exe
>> 3.82.90 into an ancient MSYS 1.0.11 install (plus msys-iconv-2.dll and
>> msys-intl-8.dll which make depends on) parallel builds work.
>
> mingw-get can downgrade, but I don't remember the command syntax,
> sorry.

No need to apologize, this issue is not your fault.

As you noted that mingw-get can downgrade, after a bit of investigation
this did the trick for me:

mingw-get install --reinstall --recursive msys-core=1.0.17-1

(must be executed on a DOS prompt, with no MSYS stuff (shells, etc)
running.)

BTW, I confirmed that make.exe version 3.81 available through mingw-get
(package name msys-make) supports parallel builds.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 19:18             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 21:10:08 +0200
>
> BTW, I confirmed that make.exe version 3.81 available through mingw-get
> (package name msys-make) supports parallel builds.

Good to know, although I'm quite sure I saw someone complain on the
MinGW list that it didn't.  But maybe that was already the new MSYS's
problem.

So is your problem with parallel builds solved?

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-02 19:41               ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-06-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> BTW, I confirmed that make.exe version 3.81 available through mingw-get
>> (package name msys-make) supports parallel builds.
>
> Good to know, although I'm quite sure I saw someone complain on the
> MinGW list that it didn't.  But maybe that was already the new MSYS's
> problem.
>
> So is your problem with parallel builds solved?

Yes. But don't worry, I have more problems lining up, this time for you
;-)

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-03  1:06       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-03  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Emacs developers

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Can you figure out which command run as part of "make install" does that?

This fragment from the install-arch-indep target:

  for d in $$locallisppath; do \
   ${MKDIR_P} "$(DESTDIR)$$d"; \
  done

goes through the following $d's:

  /Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp
  /Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/share/emacs/site-lisp

And speaking of site-lisp,

  c:\...\trunk> src\emacs.exe -q
  Warning: Lisp directory `c:/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/site-lisp': No
such file or directory

Hope this helps,

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-03  2:52         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-03  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 03:06:32 +0200
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>,
> 	Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > Can you figure out which command run as part of "make install" does that?
>
> This fragment from the install-arch-indep target:
>
>   for d in $$locallisppath; do \
>    ${MKDIR_P} "$(DESTDIR)$$d"; \
>   done
>
> goes through the following $d's:

>   /Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp
>   /Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/share/emacs/site-lisp

What does your prefix= line say in that Makefile?

If it uses Windows-style d:/foo/bar file name, does it help to say

  make install prefix=/c/Devel/emacs...

i.e. use the MSYS-style file name instead?

> And speaking of site-lisp,
>
>   c:\...\trunk> src\emacs.exe -q
>   Warning: Lisp directory `c:/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/site-lisp': No
> such file or directory

That's the consequence of the above.  Emacs verifies the site-lisp
directories exist when it starts up.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-03  3:41           ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-03  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Emacs developers

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> What does your prefix= line say in that Makefile?

prefix=c:/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk

> If it uses Windows-style d:/foo/bar file name, does it help to say
>
>   make install prefix=/c/Devel/emacs...
>
> i.e. use the MSYS-style file name instead?

Yes The c/ dir is not created.

>>   Warning: Lisp directory `c:/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/site-lisp': No
>> such file or directory
>
> That's the consequence of the above.  Emacs verifies the site-lisp
> directories exist when it starts up.

Sorry, I don't understand. ./share/emacs/site-lisp and
./share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp are created. ./site-lisp (at the root
of the source tree) is not created even when passing
install=/c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-03 15:30             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-03 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 05:41:12 +0200
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>,
> 	Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > What does your prefix= line say in that Makefile?
>
> prefix=c:/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk
>
> > If it uses Windows-style d:/foo/bar file name, does it help to say
> >
> >   make install prefix=/c/Devel/emacs...
> >
> > i.e. use the MSYS-style file name instead?
>
> Yes The c/ dir is not created.

I guess we shouldn't advise that people use Windows style file names
in the configure command, as it causes subtle bugs.  Will update
INSTALL.MSYS accordingly.

> >>   Warning: Lisp directory `c:/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/site-lisp': No
> >> such file or directory
> >
> > That's the consequence of the above.  Emacs verifies the site-lisp
> > directories exist when it starts up.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand. ./share/emacs/site-lisp and
> ./share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp are created. ./site-lisp (at the root
> of the source tree) is not created even when passing
> install=/c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk

Sorry, too little coffee.

Do you have EMACSLOADPATH set in the environment or something?

If not, please step through init_lread and see why does it try to
access this directory.  It shouldn't, and it doesn't for me.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-03 15:47               ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-03 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Emacs developers

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> I guess we shouldn't advise that people use Windows style file names
> in the configure command, as it causes subtle bugs.  Will update
> INSTALL.MSYS accordingly.

Seems reasonable.

A few comments about INSTALL.MSYS:

- It says that GTK includes PNG, JPEG and TIFF libraries. PNG is in
its own standalone package, but in a not-exhaustive check, I didn't
find JPEG and TIFF libraries here. Perhaps a pointer could be useful.

- The example invocation of msysconfig.sh says:

    CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./nt/msysconfig.sh
--prefix=PREFIX --enable-checking

  but I suppose -DGLYPH_DEBUG=1 shouldn't be required if using
--enable-checking=yes,glyphs, should it?

- You mentioned in a thread that the way to make a binary tarball is
to use "make install prefix=SOMEWHERE" and then create a tar archive
from SOMEWHERE. That should be mentioned, I think; also, that
procedure does not copy libXpm.dll (which the configure.bat based
build method could do by using --distfiles), so that should be noted
too.

- There's now a --with-file-notification=w32 option that isn't on by
default. Perhaps worth mentioning?

> Do you have EMACSLOADPATH set in the environment or something?

Aha. No, I don't have EMACSLOADPATH in the environment, but yesterday
I did a "make install" of some older release and it added
EMACSLOADPATH (and friends) to the registry. Removing these makes the
warning disappear.

   Juanma

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-03 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: ofv, emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:47:40 +0200
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>,
> 	Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> A few comments about INSTALL.MSYS:

Thanks.

> - It says that GTK includes PNG, JPEG and TIFF libraries. PNG is in
> its own standalone package, but in a not-exhaustive check, I didn't
> find JPEG and TIFF libraries here. Perhaps a pointer could be useful.

I just removed the reference to JPEG and TIFF.  (Perhaps they are
included in some other package; if someone knows, please tell.)

> - The example invocation of msysconfig.sh says:
>
>     CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./nt/msysconfig.sh
> --prefix=PREFIX --enable-checking
>
>   but I suppose -DGLYPH_DEBUG=1 shouldn't be required if using
> --enable-checking=yes,glyphs, should it?

Old habits die hard, and that is just an example.  If you have better
examples, I'm all ears.

> - You mentioned in a thread that the way to make a binary tarball is
> to use "make install prefix=SOMEWHERE" and then create a tar archive
> from SOMEWHERE. That should be mentioned, I think; also, that
> procedure does not copy libXpm.dll (which the configure.bat based
> build method could do by using --distfiles), so that should be noted
> too.

I'd prefer that someone who actually did that describe this.

> - There's now a --with-file-notification=w32 option that isn't on by
> default. Perhaps worth mentioning?

It is on by default.  I don't see why it should be mentioned when
other configure options aren't.

> > Do you have EMACSLOADPATH set in the environment or something?
>
> Aha. No, I don't have EMACSLOADPATH in the environment, but yesterday
> I did a "make install" of some older release and it added
> EMACSLOADPATH (and friends) to the registry. Removing these makes the
> warning disappear.

Good.  One more mystery eats dust.

Thanks.

* Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
@ 2013-06-03 21:06                   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-03 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, Emacs developers

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Old habits die hard, and that is just an example.  If you have better
> examples, I'm all ears.

No, I'm afraid I don't.

> I'd prefer that someone who actually did that describe this.

Fair enough.

> It is on by default.  I don't see why it should be mentioned when
> other configure options aren't.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought that it was off by default

Thanks. Your work in this issue is much appreciated.

   Juanma