On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 1:44 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Well, we'll have to disagree. The -Q switch is documented as > disabling various things that happen at startup, specifically loading > stuff that changes the defaults. Yeah, well, there's --no-splash ;-) > I see no reason to change what -Q means, even though some people, for > reasons I cannot grasp, consider JIT native compilation to be > "unusual". I don't consider it unusual, except that in my build, if I enter Emacs, load something that triggers native compilation, and exit quickly, the subprocesses crash (I get invitations to "connect with gdb and debug them", which disappear after a few seconds). That had me puzzled for a while. > Suppose you start "emacs -Q" where some of the *.el files were already > compiled into the corresponding *.eln files, would you then expect > "emacs -Q" not to use those *.eln files, and instead to load the *.elc > files? If yes, why? If not, how does this differ from when you > invoke "emacs -Q" and the *.eln files do not yet exist, but are > produced when Emacs loads the corresponding package? Loading them and using them wouldn't be a problem, because it does *not* write anywhere, while producing them does. In my case, they do just where I don't want them to be. As you say, we'll have to agree to disagree. I admit the issue is nuanced and there's no single solution that will please everyone.