On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > That's correct. Personally, I think the commit messages themselves > could have the period in this special case, but that's just MO. I agree. > This is borderline, and you might as well leave those untouched. The ones I change tend to be like Use `unless' to have one fewer `not' * lisp/vc/vc-git.el (vc-git-resolve-when-done): Use `unless' to have one fewer `not'. or Fix customization type of `even-window-sizes'. * lisp/window.el (even-window-sizes): Fix customization type. where, really, the header doesn't add anything of value (to the ChangeLog). > These are issues of style, so there are no hard rules. Back when we > maintained ChangeLog files by hand the style was not really uniform, > either. Yes, I know. I didn't try then, and do not try now, to have absolute consistency, just to increment it a little ;-) > + * lisp/character-fold.el: Many improvements. > (character-fold-search-forward, character-fold-search-backward): > - New command > The "many improvements" part could simply go away, it doesn't add any > useful information. I'd tend to agree, but I'm conservative in removing other people's words unless they are really redundant (as in the cases above). > I think the commit message should have been as corrected to begin > with, and a header line should say something else, without being > formatted as an entry. Certainly. The best messages IMHO are those who do *not* format the header line as an entry. They are usually more informative and less redundant. > This is okay, but when I see such changes, I always ask myself whether > it's worth the trouble. Your call. Some of these are because I use column markers to see which entries go over 75 or 80 columns, and some because I agree with Stefan that having dangling words is ugly. Which doesn't mean that I don't leave some of these, when the alternative is equally ugly, of course... > 2015-10-20 Dmitry Gutov > > - Don't declare vc-exec-after anymore > - > * lisp/vc/vc-svn.el: > * lisp/vc/vc-mtn.el: > * lisp/vc/vc-hg.el: > * lisp/vc/vc-cvs.el: > * lisp/vc/vc-git.el: > - * lisp/vc/vc-bzr.el: Don't declare vc-exec-after anymore. Its > - usages have been replaced with vc-run-delayed. > + * lisp/vc/vc-bzr.el: Don't declare vc-exec-after anymore. > + Its usages have been replaced with vc-run-delayed. > > Not sure why the header line was deleted, it looks OK to me. Borderline, but the header is duplicated word-for-word in the entry. I think I would've left it if the file list were quite long. Thanks for your comments. J