* Value of `dir-locals-file'   [was: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el]
@ 2019-10-18 14:53 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2019-10-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero, Eli Zaretskii
  Cc: cpitclaudel, João Távora, Stefan Monnier,
	Emacs developers

> Too late now, but perhaps .dir-locals.el should have not used the .el extension. Perhaps we should've reserved .el for lisp code (in the usual meaning of the term).

> .dir-locals.el is just a configuration file, even if it contains elisp data. .emacs.desktop is a save file containing real elisp code (I mean, function calls like setq and desktop-create-buffer, not just data lists) and it's not called .emacs-desktop.el, after all. As a consequence, I imagine, of nobody usually either editing or directly loading .emacs.desktop (though I've edited it a few times).

+1.

Same for your bookmarks file.  You can call it
anything, including `foo.el', but the default
name is `.emacs.bmk'.

Maybe someone who named the file `.dir-locals.el'
thought that eventually it might have Lisp code
in it?  Or perhaps this question just wasn't
considered?

Variable `dir-locals-file' is a constant - it's
intended as a variable.  Why is that?  Perhaps
its value should be changed from `.dir-locals.el'?
(Default value, if it becomes a variable variable.)

* Re: Value of `dir-locals-file' [was: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el]
@ 2019-10-18 15:03 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2019-10-18 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams
  Cc: João Távora, Eli Zaretskii, cpitclaudel, Stefan Monnier,