* Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-18 11:50 Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-18 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've been noticing this for days now. Whenever I invoke `undo' (C-/),
the last change is correctly undone but then sometimes the cursor gets
moved apparently random places in the buffer.

It took me a couple of days to realise it was moving point to the
position of my "penultimate" change (the change before the one I just
undid).

Is this intentional? I don't see anything about on the NEWS.
If so, is there a way to disable it?

Cheers,
Artur

* Re: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-18 12:24 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-11-18 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been noticing this for days now. Whenever I invoke `undo' (C-/),
> the last change is correctly undone but then sometimes the cursor gets
> moved apparently random places in the buffer.
>
> It took me a couple of days to realise it was moving point to the
> position of my "penultimate" change (the change before the one I just
> undid).
>
> Is this intentional? I don't see anything about on the NEWS.
> If so, is there a way to disable it?

Almost certainly my fault, and caused by commit 44dfa86b7.

Anything that you can do to make it repeatable would be excellent. If
you cannot make it repeatable, it would be good to know that also.

Also, can you try:

(setq undo-auto--current-boundary-timer t)

and see if that stops it.

Phil

* Re: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-18 13:16   ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Anything that you can do to make it repeatable would be excellent. If
> you cannot make it repeatable, it would be good to know that also.

1. Start emacs -Q
2. Delete the word "buffer"
3. Move up a couple of lines, and delete the word "want".
4. undo
5. Point will be left at where you deleted the word "buffer".

> Also, can you try:
>
> (setq undo-auto--current-boundary-timer t)
>
> and see if that stops it.

No. Still same thing.

Best,

* Re: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-18 22:50 ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2015-11-18 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Artur,

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been noticing this for days now. Whenever I invoke `undo' (C-/),
> the last change is correctly undone but then sometimes the cursor gets
> moved apparently random places in the buffer.
>
> It took me a couple of days to realise it was moving point to the
> position of my "penultimate" change (the change before the one I just
> undid).

Issue #21722 may be related to this:

I began noticing unexpected point positions after undo starting with
Emacs 23.1. I cannot reproduce the regression consistently, and it only
occurs sporadically, but I hope that this helps to get to the root cause
of such problems.

All the best!
Markus

* Re: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-19  9:47     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-11-19  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

>> Anything that you can do to make it repeatable would be excellent. If
>> you cannot make it repeatable, it would be good to know that also.
>
> 1. Start emacs -Q
> 2. Delete the word "buffer"
> 3. Move up a couple of lines, and delete the word "want".
> 4. undo
> 5. Point will be left at where you deleted the word "buffer".
>
>> Also, can you try:
>>
>> (setq undo-auto--current-boundary-timer t)
>>
>> and see if that stops it.
>
> No. Still same thing.

So, I've tested, and this problem is not caused by patch after all, but
sometime since 24.5. I'll try and see if I can automate the problem and
run a bisect.

Phil

* Re: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-19 12:11       ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-19 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'll try and see if I can automate the problem and
> run a bisect.

The following works for me. When called on the *scratch* buffer it
returns non-nil if the problem occurs.

(progn
  (kmacro-call-macro nil nil nil [134217788 11 14 14 11 67108911])
  (equal (point-min) (point)))

That macro simply calls M-< C-k C-n C-n C-k C-/

* Re: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-19 13:12         ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-11-19 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

>> I'll try and see if I can automate the problem and
>> run a bisect.
>
> The following works for me. When called on the *scratch* buffer it
> returns non-nil if the problem occurs.
>
> (progn
>   (kmacro-call-macro nil nil nil [134217788 11 14 14 11 67108911])
>   (equal (point-min) (point)))
>
> That macro simply calls M-< C-k C-n C-n C-k C-/

I tried various combinations -- works interactively but fails in batch
either because *scratch* hasn't been initialized, or undo appears to
work wrongly.

No worries, it's easy enough to test by hand, and am doing so.

Phil

* Re: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-20  1:24           ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2015-11-20  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: Artur Malabarba, emacs-devel

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
>Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I'll try and see if I can automate the problem and
>>> run a bisect.
>>
>> The following works for me. When called on the *scratch* buffer it
>> returns non-nil if the problem occurs.
>>
>> (progn
>>   (kmacro-call-macro nil nil nil [134217788 11 14 14 11 67108911])
>>   (equal (point-min) (point)))
>>
>> That macro simply calls M-< C-k C-n C-n C-k C-/
>

>I tried various combinations -- works interactively but fails in batch
>either because *scratch* hasn't been initialized, or undo appears to
>work wrongly.
>
>No worries, it's easy enough to test by hand, and am doing so.

Any luck?  FWIW I'm noticing the bug too, in emacs-25 branch built from commit c210b8b128c.

Best regards,
-Karl

* RE: Apparent regression on the undo command
@ 2015-11-20  7:51             ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-11-20  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel, Phillip Lord; +Cc: Artur Malabarba, emacs-devel

It is my commit after all. I will work on it as soon as I can. Had a nasty cold for the last few days.

Phil

@ 2015-11-20 10:06               ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-20 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: Karl Fogel, Phillip Lord, emacs-devel

No problem Phil.
Thanks for looking into this.

@ 2015-11-21 10:02                 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-11-21 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: Karl Fogel, emacs-devel

I have a possible fix for this now, currently on the
branch fix/undo-point-in-wrong-place. I waiting for some other feedback
on my code before I squash and merge it, but if you have the chance it
would be good to know if it works.

Phil

@ 2015-11-21 11:18                   ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: Karl Fogel, emacs-devel

I can't speak for the code, but I just tested your fix and looks like it
works.

Thanks Phil.

@ 2015-11-22  0:55                     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2015-11-22  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: 21968, emacs-devel

Phil,

I tried your fix.  It works for backward-kill-word, but for kill-word (forward), the cursor ends up in the wrong place (after the word, not where it was initially).

- David

@ 2015-11-23 17:27                       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-11-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: 21968, emacs-devel