On 26 Jan 2015 20:41, "Stefan Monnier" wrote: > > > Is there any particular reason why there's no `comment-line' command > > in Emacs? > > Probably because the question goes both ways: is there any particular > reason we'd need a comment-line command? > > C-a C-SPC C-n M-; > > works for me when I need it. M-x comment-line RET is much longer (even > if you shorten it with something like partial-completion), so for such > a command to make sense, you'd need a key binding for it. Yes, you would. I didn't mention keybinds yet, because I was tackling this by parts. I bind it to `C-;'. Another viable key might be `C-M-;'. But it definitely needs a key. When you want to comment/uncomment something between 1 and 9 lines, it always requires less keypresses than the M-; alternative. Besides, commenting a single line is such a common scenario, I find it deserves a single key instead of a 4 key combo. It's also something that a lot of IDE's assign to a hotkey, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds it useful. :-) And people who come from other editors are sure to miss it.