* Adding gnome-minor-mode to ELPA
@ 2016-01-17  5:33 Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2016-01-17  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I would like to import my package gnome-minor-mode to GNU:
https://github.com/ueno/gnome-minor-mode

It is a tiny minor-mode to help editing "GNOME-style" C source code,
which requires special alignment rules for header files and function
arguments:
https://developer.gnome.org/programming-guidelines/stable/c-coding-style.html.en#header-files
https://developer.gnome.org/programming-guidelines/stable/c-coding-style.html.en#functions

I had used my previous effort[1] on this for several years (even though
it was buggy).  Perhaps someone might find it useful or could provide a
better alternative?

Regards,

Footnotes:
[1]  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-emacs-sources/2010-05/msg00032.html

--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Adding gnome-minor-mode to ELPA
@ 2016-01-17 22:52 ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2016-01-17 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 17 Jan 2016 3:33 am, "Daiki Ueno" <ueno@gnu.org> wrote:
> I would like to import my package gnome-minor-mode to GNU:
> https://github.com/ueno/gnome-minor-mode
>
> It is a tiny minor-mode to help editing "GNOME-style" C source code,
> which requires special alignment rules for header files and function
> arguments:

IIRC, cc-mode has several built-in styles for brackets and indentation.
Could this gnome-style be implemented as one of those?

* Re: Adding gnome-minor-mode to ELPA
@ 2016-01-17 23:18 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-01-17 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I would like to import my package gnome-minor-mode to GNU:
> https://github.com/ueno/gnome-minor-mode

Go right ahead, just add it to elpa.git (check the README file there
for some info of how it works).

* Re: Adding gnome-minor-mode to ELPA
@ 2016-01-18  2:44   ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2016-01-18  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> On 17 Jan 2016 3:33 am, "Daiki Ueno" <ueno@gnu.org> wrote:
>> I would like to import my package gnome-minor-mode to GNU:
>> https://github.com/ueno/gnome-minor-mode
>>
>> It is a tiny minor-mode to help editing "GNOME-style" C source code,
>> which requires special alignment rules for header files and function
>> arguments:
>
> IIRC, cc-mode has several built-in styles for brackets and
> indentation. Could this gnome-style be implemented as one of those?

Perhaps, or as a style of align.el, as the GNOME documentation mentions
M-x align.  However, it's beyond my expertise and I would be grateful if
anyone could help me out.

> Go right ahead, just add it to elpa.git (check the README file there
> for some info of how it works).

I actually have read it, and noticed that it now suggests to send an
email to emacs-devel to avoid any duplicate effort, etc - that is why
I'm sending this; sorry for that I didn't strictly follow the email
format described there.

Regards,
--

@ 2016-01-18 18:46 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2016-01-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Daiki Ueno <ueno@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to import my package gnome-minor-mode to GNU:
> https://github.com/ueno/gnome-minor-mode
>
> It is a tiny minor-mode to help editing "GNOME-style" C source code,
> which requires special alignment rules for header files and function
> arguments:

I think the term "gnome" is too broad. When I saw the subject, I
envisioned many things, except for editing C code.

Since it would accompany cc-mode, may I suggest gnomecc-minor-mode?

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/

* Re: Adding gnome-minor-mode to ELPA
@ 2016-01-18 20:48     ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2016-01-18 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: emacs-devel

Daiki Ueno <ueno@gnu.org> writes:

>> IIRC, cc-mode has several built-in styles for brackets and
>> indentation. Could this gnome-style be implemented as one of those?
>
> Perhaps, or as a style of align.el, as the GNOME documentation mentions
> M-x align.  However, it's beyond my expertise and I would be grateful if
> anyone could help me out.

Don't worry about it, I was mostly just shooting the dark. A minor-mode
sounds perfectly fine.

On a second topic, I do agree with Bill. The name sounds like something
about improving integration between Emacs and Gnome. I'd suggest
something like `gnome-c-style.el' or `gnome-cc.el', but it's up to you.

>> Go right ahead, just add it to elpa.git (check the README file there
>> for some info of how it works).
>
> I actually have read it, and noticed that it now suggests to send an
> email to emacs-devel to avoid any duplicate effort, etc

Indeed, thanks for the notification.

> sorry for that I didn't strictly follow the email
> format described there.

No problem. Do you know how to add your package?

* Re: Adding gnome-minor-mode to ELPA
@ 2016-01-19  6:41       ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2016-01-19  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-devel

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> On a second topic, I do agree with Bill. The name sounds like something
> about improving integration between Emacs and Gnome. I'd suggest
> something like `gnome-c-style.el' or `gnome-cc.el', but it's up to you.

Thanks.  I renamed it to gnome-c-style, and pushed it to ELPA.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno