From: Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 5b011ac 1/2: multishell - note that the tramp bug is on remote|sudo to homedir
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 17:36:33 -0500	[thread overview]

Hey, Michael.

When I run emacs with -Q, I'm unable to produce the problem! (It's not
multishell, per se - I'm unable to produce it via multishell or separately
from it, in an emacs started with -Q.) I'll remove the notes in multishell
about it, and work on isolating what in my local setup is at fault.

Interestingly, the problem *does* happen if I start emacs with '-q',
instead of '-Q' (I didn't even think about trying -Q until you suggested
it). This suggests that the problem is in something my my site
configuration, I gather. I'll try to uncover it, but it looks like that's
going to be via a process of elimination. Unfortunately, I don't get a
traceback, even with tramp-verbose=6, when the problem occurs, only
"Selecting deleted buffer", and in *Messages*, "byte-code: Selecting
deleted buffer". Nothing more happens if debug-on-error and debug-on-signal
are set. This all suggests to me that something is swallowing the signal,
yet still returning to top-level. I'd be interested to hear if there's
common strategies for dealing with such a puzzle.

Thanks for following up, and steering me in the right direction. Sorry
about misleading anyone, mistaking the problem as being in tramp rather
than some combination. I'll let you know if there's anything interesting
about what's actually responsible for the problem, when I uncover it, and
suggestions about investigating the "Selecting deleted buffer" thing would
be appreciated.

Ken