From: Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 5b011ac 1/2: multishell - note that the tramp bug is on remote|sudo to homedir
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 13:32:44 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 9:04 PM, Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey, Michael.
>>
>> When I run emacs with -Q, I'm unable to produce the problem! (It's not
>> multishell, per se - I'm unable to produce it via multishell or separately
>> from it, in an emacs started with -Q.) I'll remove the notes in multishell
>> about it, and work on isolating what in my local setup is at fault.
>> [...]
>>

> I was mistaken about being mistaken! (-: / )-:
>
> It does fail in emacs -Q. I just needed to be sure that my recipe does
> *not* allow emacs to convert the destination in a way that fills in the
> homedir with an explicit path.
>
> I submitted a bug report. The recipe, for the curious (using "example.com"
> for a host to which you have ssh and sudo access):
>
>    - Start emacs with -Q
>    - In any buffer (*scratch* is fine):
>    M-Esc (setq default-directory "/ssh:example.com|sudo:root@example.com
>    :")
>    - In that same buffer, Esc-x shell
>
> I'd love to know if there's a workaround that I could ship with multishell.

I actually have a workaround, and the premise of it resides in the special
conditions I included for the repeating the problem. In order to repeat the
problem, you have to specifically use a default-directory that is set to
the remote+sudo+homedir format, and not allow something like `(cd path)' to
first resolve the home directory to an explicit path. So there's my
workaround, for multishell - use `(cd path)', rather than directly setting
default-directory.

Upshot is that I believe that there still is a bug worth unravelling, in
the way that shells start when default-directory is set to
remote+sudo+homedir format, but I can avoid that by using `cd'.

Ken

Ken