* Headers and commentary in package.el
@ 2013-06-25 22:32 Daniel Hackney
From: Daniel Hackney @ 2013-06-25 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

I took a look at the latest version of package.el in the trunk [1],
and there are problematic omissions from the header. First of all, my
name appears in neither the ";; Author:" header nor the "Thanks"
section. I believe that, given the extent of the changes I have made
to package.el, it would be appropriate for me to be listed in the ";;
Author:" header. I can accept not being listed in the ";; Author:"
header, but my name really ought to appear in the "Thanks" section at
least.

Additionally, the ";;; Commentary:" section is out-of-date.
`package-install-from-buffer' is obsolete and should not be listed in
the commentary. Please see the version from my latest patch here [2]

Finally, I think the version number should be bumped more than a micro
(from 1.0 to 1.0.1). Since the internal API is completely
incompatible, this would suggest a major version bump. I'm not
terribly passionate about this one, but it would make things easier on
anyone who is looking at the package.el version number.

[1] http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/annotate/head:/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el

[2] https://github.com/haxney/emacs/blob/package-refactor/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el

--
Daniel Hackney

* Re: Headers and commentary in package.el
@ 2013-06-26  0:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-26  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Hackney; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> I took a look at the latest version of package.el in the trunk [1],
> and there are problematic omissions from the header. First of all, my
> name appears in neither the ";; Author:" header nor the "Thanks"
> section. I believe that, given the extent of the changes I have made
> to package.el, it would be appropriate for me to be listed in the ";;
> Author:" header. I can accept not being listed in the ";; Author:"
> header, but my name really ought to appear in the "Thanks" section at
> least.

I'll gladly add you there.  You're not there, because for such "core"
packages, we generally don't pay attention to those things in the file.
The ChangeLog file has all that information, in a lot more details.

> Additionally, the ";;; Commentary:" section is out-of-date.

I haven't looked at it.  Patch welcome.

> `package-install-from-buffer' is obsolete and should not be listed in
> the commentary.

Is it?  What replaces it?

> Please see the version from my latest patch here [2]

Not sure how to get a diff from that.  I do see there that you have
aliased package-install-from-buffer to package-install-single, but the
Emacs version of package.el doesn't have this function.
Instead package-install-from-buffer was extended to work in tar-mode
buffers as well.

> Finally, I think the version number should be bumped more than a micro
> (from 1.0 to 1.0.1). Since the internal API is completely
> incompatible, this would suggest a major version bump.

Patch welcome: I only care about package.el as distributed in Emacs, so
the Emacs version number is enough to identify the package.el version,
as far as I'm concerned.

* Re: Headers and commentary in package.el
@ 2013-06-26  9:19   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-06-26  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Daniel Hackney, Emacs development discussions

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Please see the version from my latest patch here [2]
>
> Not sure how to get a diff from that.

Try `M-x eww RET
http://raw.github.com/haxney/emacs/package-refactor/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el
RET', then use Emacs to get the diff.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: Headers and commentary in package.el
@ 2013-06-28 14:27     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-06-28 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:19:47 +0800 Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:

XF> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Stefan Monnier
XF> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>> Please see the version from my latest patch here [2]
>>
>> Not sure how to get a diff from that.

XF> Try `M-x eww RET
XF> http://raw.github.com/haxney/emacs/package-refactor/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el
XF> RET', then use Emacs to get the diff.

The URL alone is probably enough for most of us :)

Ted