* Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21  6:45 Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-21  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors

(INR => Indian Rupees)

I have been harboring this idea for a while (> 5 years) and this is the
first time I am making an announcement on the public list.

Rough guidelines are:

1. Individuals only.
2. Open only to first time contributors.
3. Self-contained task that improve specific aspects of Emacs
   (Preferably, the C parts) .

   Stefan or Eli frequently mention what aspects they would like to see
   improved.  Here is one such feature:

4. I will hand over the gift only after the feature has been accepted in
   to the trunk.

This announcement is a personal initiative.  i.e., I haven't consulted
or informed the Emacs developers or maintainers while making this
announcement.  They may or may not approve of it.

I will NOT involve myself in:

    1. The feature that is picked
    2. The technical aspects of the work in any way.

If you want to claim the gift, you can point me to

    1. The specific feature that is implemented.
    2. The quantum of code as it hits the trunk.

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21  6:55 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-21  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>    Stefan or Eli frequently mention what aspects they would like to see
>    improved.

Here is one such feature:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-08/msg00308.html

If others know of some features please feel free to add to the list.

Please note that I will consider ANY feature that would improve Emacs in
useful ways.  (i.e., I have no personal agenda or a specific area of
interest)

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21  9:06   ` Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2014-03-21  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Is it common to place the comma at 10^4n when typing INR amounts?

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21  9:09     ` Vibhav Pant
From: Vibhav Pant @ 2014-03-21  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: Jambunathan K, Emacs development discussions

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Numbering_System

--
Vibhav Pant
vibhavp@gmail.com

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 11:53     ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2014-03-21 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: Jambunathan K, Emacs development discussions

Hello Aurélien,

On Mar 21 2014, Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it common to place the comma at 10^4n when typing INR amounts?

No. we divide into thousand, lakh(100K), crore(10M).

          1,000    -   One thousand (ofcourse)
         10,000    -   Ten Thousand
       1,00,000    -   1 lakh      (100 thousand)
    1,00,00,000    -   1 crore     (10 million) (from here on only crores)
 1,00,00,00,000    -   100 crore   (1 billion)

For eg: 7,020,402,000, we split that into 7,02,04,02,000 and say "Seven hundred two
crore four lakh two thousand".

When I saw Jumbunathan's figure I thought its a typo.

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 13:31 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-21 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors

Sorry folks.  I made a typo.  I am not really that rich.  It's
Rs. 10,000 (Ten Thousand).

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 13:45     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-21 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel
  Cc: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, Vibhav Pant,
	Emacs development discussions

Aurélien Aptel

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it common to place the comma at 10^4n when typing INR amounts?

I made a mistake.  I have reposted with the correct figure here.

    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/170713

Could you please update the reddit post.

The original figure, I proposed is a really very big amount.  I am not
really that rich.  Sorry for the confusion.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 15:01       ` Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2014-03-21 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K
  Cc: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, Vibhav Pant,

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you please update the reddit post.

I can't edit the title, sorry.

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 15:07         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2014-03-21 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel
  Cc: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, Vibhav Pant,
	Emacs development discussions

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could you please update the reddit post.
>
> I can't edit the title, sorry.

That's OK.  I posted a correction.

Thanks for spreading the word though.  I would be very happy if someone
claims the (meagre) amount.

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-03-21 20:44 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2014-03-21 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Personal gift - INR 10,000 - to new contributors

Cool, it's similar to the kickstarter idea:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/149738

I'm interested to see how it plays out. Bounties for implementing
emacs features could be a useful addition to emacs development.

E.g. people could donate for specific features and the money
pool could be collected when the patch is accepted in the trunk

It could motivate more people to work on emacs features and
it could also motivate them to implement them sooner rather
than later, so it would speed up emacs development.

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-05-20 21:02 Michal Nazarewicz
From: Michal Nazarewicz @ 2014-05-20 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kjambunathan; +Cc: emacs-devel

FYI, somehow related initiative which Emacs could be part of once git
conversion is done: http://tip4commit.com/

--
Best regards,                                         _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o

* Re: Personal gift - INR 10,0000 - to new contributors
@ 2014-05-21  4:33 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2014-05-21  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Michal Nazarewicz <mpn@google.com> writes:

> FYI, somehow related initiative which Emacs could be part of once git
> conversion is done: http://tip4commit.com/

That's sort of a small-scale Ponzi scheme kept running by keeping money
in the system.  They pay out 1% of project pool funds per commit, retain
small payouts and return them into the "project pool" after a while.

So except for large payments and/or few main contributors of fast-moving
projects with lots of commits, a large part of the contributions stays
stuck in the system.  In particular, it is no incentive for
new/occasional contributors as they never receive a payout unless the
system is inundanted with donations.

--
David Kastrup