On Sep 18, 2014, at 9:17 AM, Richard Stallman wrote: [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] provide sane names when necessary (like setcar is provided for rplaca) setcar is not entirely equivalent to rplaca -- they return different values. That's why I gave it a different name. That appears to no longer be true (emacs-24 branch): rplaca is an alias for `setcar' in `subr.el'. (rplaca CELL NEWCAR) Set the car of CELL to be NEWCAR. Returns NEWCAR. -Ivan