On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Robert Weiner > > Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 10:53:59 -0500 > > Cc: emacs-devel > > > > Although from the function doc strings, it seems a force-window-update > > followed by a (sit-for 0) should force redisplay of the chosen window, > it did > > not (see the test2 function in the prior message). Is that a bug? > > How do you know Emacs didn't redisplay the window? "Force redisplay" > doesn't necessarily mean you will see on display what you think you > should see, it just means Emacs will consider that window for > redisplay. Whether that causes Emacs to show what you think it should > is another matter entirely: the display engine has its own ideas what > part(s) of the window need to be redrawn, if any. > > I actually don't understand the idea of your test2 function: can you > tell what you intended to see happen, and why? > ​The problem was that I would set-window-buffer in the new frame to a different buffer and that buffer would not display when the new frame was brought frontmost and displayed temporarily with a sleep-for delay. Calling force-window-update had no effect but calling (redisplay t) resolved it. Bob